A visa is an entry permit to enter and stay in the territory of Finland and other Schengen area for a maximum of three months (90 days) within a half year period (6 months) starting from the day of the first border crossing to the Schengen area. If you are going to stay in Finland longer a residence permit may be required. Please see chapter Residence permit below for further information permits for longer term stay in Finland.

Students from most European and North American countries do not need a visa for short-term studies or e.g. attending entrance examinations in Finland. Please check with the local Finnish Embassy in your home country whether you need a visa or not. A visa is not required if your home country has signed a visa exemption treaty with Finland. For more information about visas and visa applications, you may contact the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland and its diplomatic missions abroad.



Contact Information on Residence Permit / Registration

In Finland exchange and degree-seeking students can register their right to stay or apply for an extension to their residence permits at the following authorities:


Alien Affairs Office (ulkomaalaisasiat)
Oulu Police Station (Oulun Poliisilaitos)
Address: Rata-aukio 2, ground floor
Tel. +358 71 876 5776: Mon, Wed, Thu, Fri 8.00-11.00
Office hours Mon, Wed, Thu, Fri 8.00 -16.15
Tuesdays closed

28.5. - 31.8.2012
Mon, Wed, Thu, Fri 8.00 - 15.30
Tuesdays closed


Oulainen Police Station (Oulaisten palvelutoimisto)
Address: Keskuskatu 9
Tel. 071 87 65520, international +358 071 87 65520
Fax. 071 87 65504, international +358 071 87 65504
Office hours: Mon - Fri 9.00-16.15

Licence services available through electronic reservations system on certain service days twice a month, except during the summer months from June to August.

Further Information on residence permits

Finnish Immigration Service

Postal address: P.O. Box 18, FIN-00581 Helsinki, Finland
Visiting address: Panimokatu 2 A, Helsinki
Customer service: Lautatarhankatu 10, Helsinki


(official registry office e-mail address)
Tel. +358 (0)71 873 0431 (switchboard; NOTE! Switchboard does not put through customer calls)
Fax +358 (0)71 873 0730

The English translation of legislation concerning residence in Finland (Aliens Act 301/2004) can be found on the web site of the Finnish Immigration Service: