Tuition Fees and Scholarships

According to the new legislation Institutes of Higher Education in Finland must charge tuition fees from the students coming outside of the European Union and the European Economic Area when applying to English taught degree programmes. 

The size of the tuition fee varies between the different schools and the different programmes offered by the particular school. The higher educational establishments can decide themselves on the arrangements regarding the collection of the fees.

Who has to pay?
  • Citizens coming from outside the European Union and the European Economic Area
  • Non-EU/EEA citizens studying in the degree programmes conducted in English
  • Applicants accepted in the spring 2017 admission and onwards
Who will not have to pay?
  • Students accepted in the spring 2016 admission or before
  • Students who have been accepted as transfer students in Oulu UAS, started their studies in another UAS before autumn 2017 and have not been required to pay tuition fee earlier
  • Foreign citizens studying in Finnish degree programmes
  • Citizens of countries in the EU/EEA/Switzerland or the family members of such persons
  • Persons who have:
    • an EU Blue Card
    • continuous (type A) residence permit in Finland
    • permanent (type P) residence permit in Finland
    • an EU residence permit for third-country citizens with long-term residence (type P-EU) in Finland
    • EU Family Member's Residence Card in Finland 

Please check for more information at Studyinfo "Am I required to pay tuition fees?"

Please check for more information on EU/EEA countries at Finnish Immigration Service website.

What documents need to be delivered?
  • Copies of the documents proving the grounds for exemption of the tuition fee for the previously mentioned reasons (in section “Who will not have to pay?”)
  • A copy of passport or identity card to indicate the citizenship of EU/EEA/Switzerland

Note! Citizens of Finland are not required to provide proof of their citizenship; it will be verified from the population register

Copies of the documents must be delivered to Admission Services by 8 February 2017 by 3 pm Finnish time.

The original documents will be checked.

Note! If a student receives one of the documents mentioned above at any point of the application period or later during the studies, he/she should provide us the document immediately. If the document is delivered after the tuition fee is already paid, the remaining fee will be returned.

How much is the fee?

In Oulu UAS the amount of the tuition fee for non-EU/EEA applicants is 8 000 euros / academic year.


How is the fee paid?

An electronic invoice of the tuition fee will be sent to the student after he/she has accepted the study place and enrolled for the academic year. The student has to pay the fee within 14 days.

What will the tuition fee cover?

The tuition fee entitles the student to study and receive a degree and to use the normal support services available for students. However, all students for example have to buy books and other educational material themselves, get insurance as well as take care of their own travelling and living costs (accommodation, food, clothing, leisure activities). Average monthly living cost for a student is estimated to be about 600–900 euros.

According to Finnish Immigration Service, in addition to the amount of the tuition fee, the student has to have at least 6 720 euros / academic year available to cover the living costs.

How much is a scholarship?

All non-EU/EEA students starting their studies in the autumn 2017 are expected to pay tuition fees

Students who complete at least 55 ECTS credits during the previous academic year will be granted a scholarship of 4 000 euros for the next year of studies by application.

The scholarships can be granted for the optimal study time of the degree programme.

Note! In order to graduate in the optimal time the student has to complete 60 cr/academic year.


Who can apply for a scholarship?

Students required to pay tuition fees can apply for a scholarship. All these students can apply for a scholarship for the first year. In later years scholarship is awarded based on the progress of studies (55 ECTS cr / academic year).

How to apply for a scholarship?

In the first year, scholarships can be applied when applying for a study place. There is no need to fill out any additional forms. In later years, the scholarship is applied with a separate application form.

How to apply for a socioeconomic scholarship?

For socioeconomic reasons a student can apply for a full scholarship from the tuition fee after the first year of studies. In order to get the full scholarship the student has to complete at least 55 ECTS credits in the previous year. More information will be updated to this website later.

We reserve the right to make changes.