Qualification requirements in a nutshell
- in most cases a relevant university or polytechnic degree and a minimum of three years of work experience in a field corresponding to the degree
- in the field of social services and health either a relevant master's degree and a three years of work experience or a relevant polytechnic degree and a five years of work experience corresponding to the degree.
If the student possesses a deviating degree
The minimum requirements for successful application can be forfeited only if the applicant is currently working as a vocational teacher and has a minimum of five years of practical work experience in a field corresponding in content to the teaching position. The employer (school) has to provide a written statement to justify why the applicant is qualified to work as a teacher without complying with the decree 986/1996.
A person who does not comply with the decree 986/1996 can still be selected to the teacher education programme. It is to be noted, however, that completing the pedagogical studies will not make the student qualified for other teaching positions.
Recognition of a non-Finnish degree
In Finland, the teacher’s profession is a regulated profession. The eligibility requirements for the different kinds of teaching posts are stated in a decree on the eligibility requirements for personnel in the teaching profession (986/1998). Holders of foreign qualifications seeking to work as teachers or applying for teacher education in Finland need to apply for a decision of recognition from The National Agency of Education. You can find further information from the website of the Finnish National Agency of Education.
You have to attach a copy of the decision on the recognition of your degree made by the Finnish National Board of Education to your application if you:
- have not completed your degree in the Nordic Countries
- represent the educational field of social services and health and you have not completed your degree in Finland.
Without a copy of the decision, your application will not be considered.
The average period for processing an application is 3 to 4 months from the date on which the applicant has submitted all the documents required for issuing the decision.
Application period and applying
Application period has ended 30.1.2018. Please submit the validated copies of certificates and other appendices by February 7th 2018 at 15 pm to School of Professional Teacher Education. Applications without appendices will not be accepted.
Please notice that there is a maintenance break in the Studyinfo service during approximately 1 February 2018 at 16.30 and 6 February 2018 at 8. During this time, the Studyinfo service as well as the My Studyinfo service are not available to applicants. Admissions officers are also not able to access the system during the maintenance break.
Full admission criteria, list of required documents and the online application form are available in Studyinfo.
Admission criteria 2018
The student selection procedure is based on a national admission point scoring system. The criteria which will be taken into consideration in the admission point scoring system in 2018 are:
- teaching experience acquired since 1.1.2010
- other completed degrees in addition to the degree with which you will apply (max. 2 degrees)
- basic studies in educational sciences (completed according to the requirements of a Finnish university or UAS)
- further professional and/or pedagogical education completed since 1.1.2013