Clothes can be bought in supermarkets (inexpensive), department stores (moderate) and boutiques (expensive). The main shopping areas in Oulu are:
- Rotuaari (pedestrian precinct in the city centre)
- Raksila supermarkets (1 km from the city centre)
- Zeppelin shopping centre (in Kempele, 15 km south of Oulu)
In Oulainen and Raahe the main shopping area is the centre of the town.
As clothes (especially winter wear) are relatively expensive in Finland, students are recommended to bring warm clothing such as sweaters, insulated jackets or thick coats with them. Warm, waterproof footwear with a good griff is also needed.
Books and stationery
Books and stationery can be bought in supermarkets or bookshops. Also some student unions at Oulu University of Applied Sciences maintain bookshop services. Examples of bookshops:
- Nispero Kirjakahvila, Pakkahuoneenkatu 5, tel. (08) 311 3389
- Suomalainen Kirjakauppa, Kirkkokatu 17, Oulu, tel. (08) 534 2600
- Akateeminen kirjakauppa, Kirkkokatu 14 (3rd floor of Stockmann Department Store), tel. (08) 317 9585
- Suomalainen Kirjakauppa, Kirkkokatu 43, Raahe, tel. (08) 223 7163
- Oulaisten KIPA Kirjakauppa, Oulaistenkatu 36, Oulainen, tel. (08) 470 074