In the past years internationalisation has become one of the key components of higher education institutions’ strategies. It is not an intrinsic value and not a goal of its own, but an effective instrument for reaching higher education institution’s other goals. Different actions of internationalisation strengthen the quality of education and research and development activities, their societal engagement, visibility, and it prepares both students and staff for intercultural considerations and for acting in international operating environment.
Internationalisation is one of the key development targets of Oulu University of Applied Sciences. Oulu UAS develops itself and new professional know-how in co-operation with domestic and international education and research communities. Our vision is that Oulu UAS is versatilely utilising all aspects of internationalisation, actively operating in international co-operation networks and an evolving higher education institution.
Aims of internationalisation at our institution are:
- Creating a genuine international higher education community
- Enhancing quality and attractiveness through international activities
- Supply of work force trained and capable for international activities to the working life of the region
- Supporting multicultural society
In 2012 – 2015 the development actions of Oulu UAS’s interantionalisation are:
- Deepening and strengthening of international strategic and key partnerships
- Increasing teaching in English, developing joint studies and degrees together with international partner institutions
- Increasing student and staff mobility
- Increasing international project collaboration with companies
- Increasing internationalisation skills of the staff
- Increasing integration of international students
The most essential activities for international co-operation include student and staff mobility, development of curriculum and teaching as well as carrying out education and research and development activities in interaction with high-level and versatile international partners.
Oulu UAS’s students have excellent opportunities for completing their studies in student and trainee exchanges abroad. Annually some 250 students go abroad for 3 – 10 months and we receive a similar amount of students from our 180 international partner universities around the world. Our campuses have altogether some 260 international degree-seeking students. Oulu UAS provides incoming students with excellent study and learning environment and safe but lively living environs.
In 2012 the staff of Oulu UAS realised nearly 300 exchanges in conjunction of teaching, development of teaching and co-operation and research and development activities. We received ca. 130 international experts for work periods of varying length.
Courses at Oulu University of Applied Sciences are taught mainly in Finnish and instruction in English is offered across the educational fields. We offer incoming exchange students study modules whose extent is 30 ECTS cr in English. A Bachelor’s degree can be completed in English in three degree programmes: Degree Programme in International Business, Degree Programme in Information Technology and Degree Programme in Business Information Technology. Two Master’s degree programmes are offered in English: Degree Programme in Industrial Management and Degree Programme in Information Technology.
International teams of Oulu UAS’s Student Union OSAKO organise leisure time activities for international and Finnish students and help international students to adapt to the student community and Finnish culture. International exchange students also have the opportunity to acquaint themselves with Finnish culture and language with the help of Oulu UAS's Finnish Survival course. Incoming exchange students are also provided with teacher and student tutors. International relations coordinators, student affairs offices and International Services staff at various schools help and guide students thinking about student exchange and international students.
Further information on Oulu UAS’ international activities:
- For incoming exchange students
- For incoming staff
- List of Oulu UAS’s partner institutions
- For prospective degree students
- Oulu UAS’s international degree programmes
- For employers interested in taking an international trainee
- For Oulu UAS’s students considering a study abroad period (Students’ Intranet Oiva, requires authoritsation)
- For Oulu UAS’s staff considering an exchange period abroad (Staff’s Intranet Heimo, requires authorization)