Cooperation between Northern Finnish Higher Education Institutions
The Northern Finland Higher Education Cooperation Advisory Board works as an expert in higher education cooperation related to education, research and development as well as regional cooperation. The aim is to increase the regional impact through cooperation.
Higher education institutions in Northern Finland are the universities of Oulu and Lapland and the universities of applied sciences in Oulu, Kajaani, Central Ostrobothnia, Rovaniemi and Kemi-Tornio.
Regional Higher Education Network
The Regional Higher Education Network project implemented in Raahe and Koillismaa is a regional development pilot project. The aim of the project is:
- to strengthen the regional impact of higher education institutions through networking and cooperation
- to promote the achievement of the objectives of Northern Ostrobothnia regional plan and programme as well as those of the regional centre and centre of expertise programmes
- to operate as a project catalyst, promoter and actor supporting foresight of competence within cooperation networks.
Ismo Kinnunen, MA, is the director of the project.
Active Partner in Centres of Expertise
The national Centre of Expertise Programme (OSKE) supports regional strengths as well as specialisation between regions and cooperation between various centres of expertise. The programme has given rise to a powerful and capable centre of expertise network. The Oulu University of Applied Sciences operates in the centres according to its strengths.
The Oulu University of Applied Sciences participates in the following centres of expertise.
- Lapland Centre of Expertise for the Experience Industry
- Oulu Region Centre of Expertise
- Raahe-Nivala-Tornio Networking Centre of Expertise
- Northern Finland Social Care Centre of Expertise (Poske)
- Kuhmo Chamber Music Centre of Expertise
Part of regional development centres
Regional centre programmes support the development of urban areas into regionally effective centres, strengthen competence-based competitiveness and join municipalities, companies, educational institution and research units in cooperation.
The Oulu University of Applied Sciences operates in the following regional centres:
- Oulu Region
- Raahe Region
- Southern Oulu
- Northeast Finland
Multipolis Network of Centres of Expertise
Together the Northern Finnish centres of expertise comprise the Multipolis network, which combines their respective expertise areas and creates increasingly good high-end technology solutions. Due to its size and diversity, Multipolis is extremely competitive also internationally.
The network strengthens the competitiveness of Northern Finland and offers the companies the best possible operating environment. It is a key tool in the Northern Finland development strategy and creates a considerable number of new businesses and employment opportunities in the region.