A transfer student is considered to be a degree student who is enrolled and has a right to study at a Finnish university of applied sciences and is applying for a transfer from his/her current degree programme to an equivalent degree programme in another Finnish university of applied sciences, or a student who wishes to transfer from one degree programme to another within the same field of education.
Only students enrolled at a university of applied sciences can be accepted as transfer students. Transfer students must have a valid study right in a university of applied sciences. Within a university of applied sciences, a student can transfer from one degree programme to another within one field of education to study for an equivalent degree when the selection criteria, including the entrance examination, have been the same.
A university student or a student studying in an international universities or universities of applied sciences cannot be accepted as a transfer student, except for international degree students studying at one of OUAS's partner universities with which a double or joint degree agreement has been established and who are applying for a right to study for a double or joint degree in the transfer student selection process.
The calculation of the prescribed duration of studies of a student applying for the status of transfer student has started in the university of applied sciences from which he or she applies for transfer. When determining the end date of the prescribed duration of studies, the extent of the degree, start date of the studies as well as number of attending and absent terms will be taken into account.
The end date of a student's prescribed duration of studies will be confirmed in conjunction with the acceptance of the transfer application. The end date in question will be notified in the acceptance letter to be delivered to the student. (Polytechnics Act 351/2003, section 24). After the prescribed duration of studies has ended, the full-time students have, in accordance with the legislation, another year to complete their studies. The duration of studies of students other than full-time students is determined according to the approved personal study plan.
Degree Programmes Instructed in English
The following international degree programmes of Oulu University of Applied Sciences can admit transfer students.
- Degree Programme in Business Information Technology
- Degree Programme in International Business
- Degree Programme in Information Technology
Information on admission of transfer students to degree programmes instructed in Finnish.
The decisions concerning the principles of student admission are made by the university of applied sciences in question (Act 564/2009 § 22). If the expedient execution of transfer student admission requires the use of an elimination procedure, the decision will be made by the school in question (Degree regulations 12.12.2013).
At Oulu University of Applied Sciences the following admission criteria are applied when selecting transfer students:
- The applicant is eligible for studies in another Finnish university of applied sciences in an equivalent degree programme (in the Degree Programme in Nursing in an option with equivalent or wider scope).
- The applicant’s prior studies and the courses offered by the university of applied sciences enable graduation within the prescribed duration of studies.
- The applicant has enrolled as present at a university of applied sciences for at least one year.
- The applicant has accumulated on average at least 55 ECTS credits per academic year. Applicants who have accumulated less than 55 ECTS credits per academic year can be taken into consideration for special reasons.
- The resources of the school allow the admission of a new student to the degree programme/option.
The following points apply to applicants who are studying for a joint/double degree:
- The applicant has a valid right to study in a corresponding degree programme at a partner institution of Oulu University of Applied Sciences, and the student applies for a right to study for a double/joint degree in accordance with the agreement on double/joint degrees established between Oulu University of Applied Sciences and the partner institution. The home institution carries out the preliminary selection of the student before the applications for student transfer are submitted and ensures that the student meets the qualification requirements.
- The studies that a student studying for a double/joint degree is required to complete have been agreed upon between Oulu University of Applied Sciences and the partner institution.
- The number of terms for which a student studying for a double/joint degree is required to have enrolled as present at the home institution is determined according to the agreement on double/joint degrees. The students in question preserve their right to study at their home institution.
Applicants must fill in the online application form, which can be found on this website during the application period.
The application must be accompanied by an up-to-date transcript of records in Finnish (for programmes instructed in Finnish) or English (for programmes instructed in English) stamped and signed by the university of applied sciences and separate certificates of the study attainments that are not recorded in the study register. The application must also include a study certificate stating the number of terms the applicant has enrolled as present and absent and a possible separate account of the reasons for applying for a transfer.
Transfer students are selected once a year. Application period in 2015 is from 4 May to 1 June (The School of Media and Performing Arts ends on 15 May). The application and the attachments must arrive at the school in question by the end of the application period. Applicants can complete their application until the end of the application period. The student selection will be made based on the information given in the application. The applicants will be informed in writing of the results of the student selection by 30 June. Additional application will not be arranged. The application form is available on the Oulu University of Applied Sciences website during the application period.
Double / Joint degree students will be given the status of both degree student and exchange student. Double / Joint degree students should fill in the transfer student application together with the exchange student application. The exchange student application is available at ESA – Exchange Student Application System of Oulu University of Applied Sciences where the study plan for the Double / Joint degree studies is also made.
Transfer Student Selection and Appeal
After the decision concerning transfer student selection has been made, the schools will inform the applicants of the decision. The selection is not final until the admitted student has delivered a certificate of resignation from his/her previous university of applied sciences to the school of Oulu University of Applied Sciences in question. However, this does not apply to double/joint degree students The school will inform the applicant in the letter of admission of the dates when the confirmation of acceptance of the study place and the certificate of resignation must be submitted.
If an applicant is not satisfied with the transfer student selection, he/she can apply in writing to the Board of Oulu University of Applied Sciences for a rectification no later than 14 days after the receipt of the selection decision (Act 564/2009 § 22). When Oulu University of Applied Sciences announces the results of the selection, it must inform the applicant how he/she can find out how the selection principles have been applied in his/her case and how he/she can apply for a rectification (Decree 1045/2009 § 18).
Enrolment of the students admitted in 2015
According to the Universities Act/Polytechnics Act (932(2014) a first-year student may register as absent for the academic year for the following reasons only:
- 1. service under the Conscription Act (1438/2007), Non-Military Service Act (1446/2007), or Act on Women's Voluntary Military Service (194/1995);
- 2. maternity, paternity or parental leave;
- 3. the student cannot begin studies due to being incapacitated by personal illness or injury.
Documents proving the legal grounds for your absence must be received by the date of acceptance of the study place.
School of Business and Information Management
Degree Programme in Business Information Technology
Degree Programme in International Business
Teuvo Pakkalan katu Campus 020 611 0212, opiskelijapalvelut.liike#oamk.fi (korvaa # -> @)
Ms. Marjo Similä
School of Music, Dance and Media, School of Engineering and Natural Resources
Degree Programme in Information Technology
Kotkantien Campus 020 611 0210, opiskelijapalvelut.kotkantie#oamk.fi (korvaa # -> @)
Ms Hanna Ylönen
School of Health and Social Care
Professorintie Campus 020 611 0211, opiskelijapalvelut.sote#oamk.fi (korvaa # -> @)