Last modified 15.3.2011 at 13:20
Text: Riikka Pehkonen Photos: Milan Kolarovic
Ede came to Finland in 2007. He knew that this was the place of high technology. He chose Raahe School of Engineering and Business. The choice has proven to be right.
Ede Aghedo is Nigerian. He comes from the Benin City. Before coming to Finland Ede worked as a teacher in a secondary high school teaching chemistry and other sciences. Besides teaching he reared animals and nurtured plant seedlings. This was partly a hobby for Ede.
The reason Ede left his country was education. He checked several world sites on the internet and became convinced that Finland would be the country since it is known for its hi-tech industry, high-level information technology and good education.
– In Africa everybody has one functional mobile phone – and it is Nokia. When people asked me which country I have chosen, I said Finland. They thought I meant England. I said: No, not England but Finland – NOKIA-Finland. And then they got the message! Ede laughs.
The most recognised school in the field
Ede was interested in information technology. Choosing the school was easy because Raahe School of Engineering and Business was the only place which offered these courses in English. Before Ede came to Raahe he made several enquiries. He got to know that Raahe School is also the most recognised school in the field.
– When I saw the facilities I knew this is the school I want, Ede says.
Now, Ede has studied for two years. He will start his practical training this summer. When he came to Finland he knew little of using computers and computer electronics. But knowledge has increased and Ede thinks he is very good at it now.
– It has been a gradual process. One good thing was that they sold old computers to international students at a low price. Own computer offers good possibilities to practice in your spare time.
Easy communication with the teachers
Besides the facilities Ede mentions three other things which make him like Raahe and the school there. The first one is the easy relationship between teachers and students.
– If I don’t understand something they’ll ask you to come their office and will explain it to you. Teachers are ready to show how things go in practice, he says.
The second thing is that Ede got a job right after he came to Raahe. From all the international students, he was the only one who hah a regular job.
– The job gave me commitment to complete my education here.
The third thing is the people in Raahe and his friends. Ede has got a kind host family.– In Africa we heard a lot of talks about discrimination. Not in Finland, but in general. But when I first time came from Helsinki to Raahe I met a man on the train who kindly took me from Vihanti to my hotel free of charge, Ede laughs.
Ede has plans for the future.– I came here for education. I hope I will complete my studies in Raahe successfully. That is my mission. As for the future, if I’ll get everything organised and can find a permanent job, I´ll definitely stay here.Keywords:You can find specific information and how to apply from the Studies and Applying section of Oulu UAS website.
Following your passion
Prepare for the Unexpected
Towards new challenges
A world of options
Friends for life
BITs of Learning
Online in Finland