Guidelines for Guiding Teachers
The purpose of teaching practice is to provide the students with an opportunity to apply their pedagogical knowledge and skills in real life teaching. The aim is to enable the student teacher to design, carry out and evaluate the teaching methods of his/her own sector and to cooperate with other parties and students relating to practical studies.
Guiding teacher guides and supports the student teacher. He/she promotes the competence development and professional growth of the student teacher during the teaching practice. The student teacher, the guiding teacher and the professional teacher education teacher tutor will agree on how the student teacher will demonstrate his/her competences defined in the competence goals during the teaching practice.
Teaching practice provides the student with an opportunity to practice as professional teacher either in his/her own professional teaching job or by teaching assigned subjects defined by a guiding teacher.
The process of competence-based vocational teacher education
The curriculum of the vocational teacher education is competence-based. Reaching the competence goals is a personal and a personalized process for each student. In developing their competences, the students focus on the exact knowledge and skills which they personally need and which a vocational teacher needs now and in the future. At the very beginning of the teaching practice, the students make a personal study plan for carrying out the teaching practice. The plan is based on the competence goals of the teacher training.
Teaching practice in the context of teacher education
The total extent of the vocational teacher education is 60 ECTS credits which includes a teaching practice where the student applies his/her pedagogical knowledge and skills in practice. Teaching practice is divided into three study units. The learning goal for the student is to plan, carry out and evaluate in his/her field. Furthermore, the student teacher promotes learning by communicating and collaborating with students and other actors in the educational institution in pedagogically meaningful ways.
Teaching practice is carried out in an authentic environment in vocational/higher education. Students get familiar with the operational environment of their own substance field. They practice by teaching as long as they reach the competence goals of the teaching practice, and they demonstrate their competences.
Safety competence (2 ECTS) is integrated into teaching practice (10 ECTS). The competence goals for the teacher student in these competence areas are:
Pedagogical Competence II
- You plan a learning module in your own substance field
- You plan a learning environment that promotes learning and competence
- You implement a learning module in your own substance field
- You use teaching and guiding methods in a pedagogically justified manner
- You interact with students to promote learning
- You interact with other parties involved in vocational and higher education
- You guide the student to understand the vocational skills requirements, competence goals, the assessment goals and criteria
- You use assessment and feedback to foster the student’s learning, competence and professional growth
- You plan teaching and guiding the student’s physical, psychical and social safety in mind
- You teach, guide, and assess, the student’s physical, psychical and social safety in mind
Laws and amendments, as well as the rules and regulations of the educational institutions are to be followed at all times during the practice. Similarly, the values of vocational education/higher education, the ethical principles of teachers and human rights must be borne in mind and applied in actions throughout the practice.
Since each student has his/her own personal study plan (PSP) it is possible to demonstrate competences also in other competence areas, such as special needs education, working life and networks and digital pedagogy during the teaching practice. The competence goals of this unit can be found here.
Implementation and assessment of a personal plan for teaching practice
At the beginning of the teaching practice the student teacher, tutor and the guiding teacher talk about the competence goals, competence development plans and demonstrations of the competences. Based on these discussions, the student teacher compiles a personal teaching practice plan of competence development and demonstrations. The plan must be accepted by both the tutor and the guiding teacher before the start of the teaching practice.
Competence demonstration happens during the actual teaching practice – in teaching work, in an authentic setting. The task of the guiding teacher is to guide, support and endorse the student teacher in his/her professional growth and development. Guiding teacher also evaluates the demonstrated competences in relation to each competence goal.
Student teachers should also develop their competences independently and reflect their learning and development during the entire practice period.
At the end of the teaching practice the guiding teacher writes a report and assesses the teacher student's progress towards the competence goals set in the beginning of the practice. The guiding teacher gives a signed report to the student and send a copy per email to the tutor at the School of Professional Teacher Education. The assessment of the teaching practice is done using this form.
Guiding teacher supporting the development of the student teacher
The role of the guiding teacher in supporting and guiding the student teacher’s growth and competence development is essential.
During the teaching practice the guiding teacher:
- Informs the student teacher about the educational environment where the practice takes place, its culture, the documents that direct the work of a teacher, and the role of a teacher in a larger whole of the profession
- Guides and helps the student teacher with his/her personal teaching practice plan. He /she discusses and endorses the student teacher with his/her personal development goals
- Guides the student teacher together with the professional teacher education tutor towards reaching and demonstrating the competence
- Familiarizes the student teacher with the internal and external networks of the placement school and provides the student teacher with opportunities to get involved in the network activities
- Guides the student teacher in recognizing and understanding the needs of different learners
- Selects, together with the student teacher, a study unit or a module that the student teacher will plan, implement and assess. When agreeing on the scope and contents of the study module it should be made sure that the competence goals of the teaching practice are achievable and possible to demonstrate during the study unit or module
- Guides the student teacher in planning, implementation and assessment of teaching and learning
- Observes the teaching and guiding methods of the student teacher, has guidance discussions and gives feed-back. Continuous guidance during the practice process helps the student teacher to develop his/her competences.
- After the teaching practice, the guiding teacher provides the student teacher with a written evaluation about the teaching practice competences and how they were attained. The evaluation document will be sent to the student teacher and to the professional teacher education tutor by email using this evaluation form.
The timing for the guided teaching practice depends on the practice placement and the teaching schedule of the guiding teacher. Student teacher agrees on the details of the practice with the guiding teacher. If the teaching done by the student teacher is part of the work obligations of the guiding teacher, it is the guiding teacher who bears the legal responsibility of the teaching. During the teaching practice the tutor from the Oulu UAS will visit the placement to observe and guide the student teacher, providing the placement is located within a 200 km radius from Oulu or Rovaniemi. The demonstration of competence by the student teacher can also be done online by using video material.
School of Professional Teacher Education pays a fee of 250 € for teaching practice guidance. This fee is personal and will have to be billed by the individual guiding teacher by using a specified invoice form with a tax card for sideline income attached. Another option enables an educational institution to charge the School of Vocational Teacher Education by sending in an invoice for the practice fee. Billing address and detailed instructions can be found below.
The School of Professional Teacher Education pays a 250€ guidance fee. The fee can be paid either directly to the guiding teacher or to the institution depending on the procedure of the institution where the teaching practice has taken place.
1. Guidance fee paid to individuals
The teaching practice guidance fee, paid for an individual guiding teacher, will have to be billed by the guiding teacher him/herself by using a specified invoice form. A tax card for secondary income (“sivutulo”) must be attached to the invoice. Please, note that the guiding teachers who already work within the Oulu University of Applied Sciences Ldt. do not have to attach a tax card in their invoices.
The invoice, with a tax card for secondary income, is sent electronically to sirpa.aalto#oamk.fi (korvaa # -> @) or to the following mailing address:
Oulun Ammattikorkeakoulu Oy
2. Guidance fee paid to educational institutions
The teaching practice guidance fee can also be paid for an educational institution. The educational institution can send the invoice for the fee to the School of Professional Teacher Education after the guiding teacher has sent a written evaluation of the teaching practice to the teacher tutor of the School of Professional Teacher Education.
Electronic billing information:
Operator: Basware Oy
Operator ID: BAWCFI22
Electronic billing address / EDI code: 003725097478
Billing address for an electronic invoice:
Oulun Ammattikorkeakoulu Oy
If the educational institution does not yet have an opportunity to submit electronic invoices, a paper invoice can be sent to our scanning unit to the following mailing address:
Oulun Ammattikorkeakoulu Oy
Please, note: All electronic billing information mentioned above, including the EDI code, must be included in the invoices sent to the invoicer.
All billing invoices must include the following reference: School of Professional Teacher Education / teaching practice.
Guided teaching practice and guidance fee abroad
Guidance fee payments for teachers who work abroad must be accompanied by a tax at source card. The source tax percentage is 0% for persons who work abroad and do not reside in Finland. These persons pay the tax in their respective countries of residence. The School of Vocational Teacher Education will take care of the tax at source card.
The invoice form for the billing of the guidance fee (including bank account details) will be sent to the School of Vocational Teacher Education. The school will forward the documents to the administrations for payment.
The address of the School of Vocational Teacher Education is: Oamk, Ammatillinen opettajakorkeakoulu, Kiviharjuntie 4, 90220 Oulu.