Studying at Oulu UAS »

Studies and Training Abroad


Curious about Korea? Inspired by Italy? Ready to take on the world?

As a student at Oulu UAS, you have excellent opportunities to gain international experience and complete part of your degree at our international partner universities or in practical training abroad. Going on an exchange is an opportunity for you to build up your professional and international skills, and it has a proven positive effect:  those with international experience are hired more readily, receive better pay and get more responsibility. You will also broaden your horizons and make your life more international in many ways.

Hundreds of Oulu UAS students head out to study and train all over the globe every year. Their feedback and experiences confirm the fact that student exchange opportunities are valuable ones:

"Exchange is one of the most valuable experiences you can acquire at this point of life."

"Exchange experience was the key factor for me to get a chance to get my current international job and my career."

"Now, after the exchange, I have a sister in Portugal and two brothers in France, a lot of friends all over the world."

You can read more exchange stories in the Exchange stories section.

  • Studying Abroad


    There are many ways for you to study abroad. Usually exchanges are based on an agreement between Oulu UAS and a foreign university or an exchange programme.

    We participate in the European Union's Erasmus+ programme that allows you to apply for study exchange or practical training abroad in different locations in EU and EEA countries. The North2north programme of the University of the Arctic offers student exchange in the northern regions (the Nordic countries, Russia, Canada and USA/Alaska). Bilateral agreements refer to cooperation with universities outside Europe. You do not have to pay tuition fees if you choose one of these destinations. The programme pages listed in the menu on the right have more information about each exchange programme. 

    You can also make personal arrangements with a university or participate in a paid exchange programme like Asia Exchange. These are called free mover exchanges. We also promote shared exchange programmes between universities of applied sciences.

    You are eligible for study exchange if you meet the following requirements:

    • You have completed your first-year studies. 
    • You have a sufficient number of credits; 30/term, 60/year.
    • Your department or degree programme head supports your study exchange.
    • You have been graded minimum three for the language to be used during the study exchange, e.g. English, or you have equivalent proficiency. 
    • Your exchange destination offers studies suited for your degree programme, five credits per exchange month minimum; these credits will allow you to progress in your studies at the appropriate rate (30 credits/term, 60 credits/year).
    • The planned duration of the study exchange is at least three months (with some exceptions).
    • All specific conditions for the study exchange/exchange programme/destination are met.

    You can make use of multiple exchange opportunities and grants during your studies. Each study exchange requires the approval of your degree programme. 

  • International Double Degrees


    Oulu UAS has double degree agreements with international partner universities that allow the students of some degree programmes to complete another bachelor's degree in addition to their Oulu UAS bachelor's degree. All double degree programmes are taught in English.

    In a double degree programme, your first and second year of studies are at Oulu UAS and the third year you study in a partner university, returning to Oulu UAS to complete your degree. As you graduate after completing your studies (210–240 credits) you can have degrees and diplomas from both universities, depending on your degree programme.

    Oulu UAS offers the following double degree options:

    European Double Degree in Information Technology EDDIT,

    ICT Studies/Students

    Our ICT students can complete a double degree (the EDDIT Programme: European Double Degree in Information Technology) at one of our partner universities, either Hochschule Darmstadt in Germany or the Dublin Institute of Technology in Ireland.

    The students who go to Germany for their double degree will graduate from Oulu UAS as a Bachelor of Engineering and receive the German Bachelor of Science for the same studies. Those who studied in Ireland will graduate from Oulu UAS as a Bachelor of Engineering and receive the Irish Bachelor of Science, Ordinary Level for the same studies.

    You can find out more at EDDIT and from Susanna Kujanpää.

    Business Double Degree,

    Business Studies/Students (LIK/DIB) 

    Students in the business (LIK) and international business (DIB) degree programmes may undertake a double degree at Hochschule Neu-Ulm in Germany. The programme takes 18 months and the required minimum for the German studies is 75 credits. 

    You can find out more at Double Degree HNU Business and from Jyrki Holappa.

    ICT Double Degree,

    Business Information Systems/Students (TIK/BIT)

    Students in the information technology (TIK) and business information technology (BIT) degree programmes may apply for a double degree studies at Hochschule Neu-Ulm after two years of study. The programme's duration is one school year and 60 credits.

    The students who go to Neu-Ulm for their double degree will graduate from Oulu UAS as a Bachelor of Business Administration and receive the German Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) for the same studies.

    You can find out more at Double Degree HNU and from Ilkka Mikkonen.

  • Practical Training Abroad


    Of the employers surveyed, 64% consider an international background as important for recruitment and grounds for trusting a newly graduated employee with greater professional responsibility (The Erasmus Impact Study). 


    Practical Training During Studies 

    You can head abroad for the training that is part of your degree programme at Oulu UAS, and you will be entitled to different international training grants depending on your training position and location. As a rule, students must arrange their practical training abroad independently. Additionally, practical training opportunities are offered by some of the Oulu UAS partner universities. The Exchange destinations page has more information about the potential destinations and the application process.  

    The same rules apply to the content and conditions of practical training abroad as for any other practical training related to your degree programme. Furthermore, the following requirements must be met: 

    • You have completed your first-year studies before leaving for the practical training.

    • The destination and planned content of the practical training have the approval of your degree programme or the person in charge of training matters. 

    • You accumulate at least three credits a month from the training. In addition to completing your mandatory training, practical training abroad may be credited as part of your final project, project/vocational studies, optional studies, etc.

    • The practical training must last a minimum of two months (with some exceptions). Outside Europe, the minimum duration may include 1–2 weeks of orientation or cultural studies. Please note that two months refers to two full months to the day. 

    • Working hours must be 30 hours/week minimum.

    PLEASE NOTE: If you study and train abroad simultaneously, the exchange period will in most cases be considered study exchange. You may complete language studies and maximum 3-5 ECTS other studies presuming that the studies in question are considered to be an essential support your training. 

    Practical training abroad, especially in the case of self-acquired training, is different from study exchange in another university. In study exchange, the receiving university and its support services will take responsibility for you. In practical training abroad, you will usually be more independent as you learn working life skills and professional skills.


    Practical Training for Graduates

    You may receive an Erasmus+ training grant for recent graduates from Oulu UAS after you graduate. The grant is comparable to the Erasmus+ practical training grant for students. 

    The Erasmus+ grant for recent graduates has the following requirements:

    • The training agreement has been prepared and signed before you graduate, and the training starts and ends within one year from your graduation.
    • The practical training may last a maximum of 12 months. If you have participated in an Erasmus study or training exchange as a student, those grants will be deducted from the maximum duration.
    • The practical training must last at least two months.
    • The grant may only be paid during a singular Erasmus+ period, which usually begins in June and ends in September the next year.   

    The training grant for recent graduates is primarily intended to further the employment of a student after their graduation, so practical training in fields other than the one you are graduating in is also eligible.


  • Short-term Exchange and Summer Schools


    The recommended duration is three months for study exchange and two months for practical training abroad. These are partly based on the requirements of various exchange programmes and also the fact that a period of several months is needed to provide the best and most diverse experience possible. 

    You may also apply for a grant for shorter periods with separate justification. Moreover, the students participating in a shorter exchange are also covered by the Oulu UAS travel insurance.


    Study trips 

    For example, if you or your study group are planning a week-long study trip, you may apply for a grant if you fulfil the following requirements:

    • The trip must have the approval of your department and it must accumulate credits. 
    • The trip's duration must be five days at a minimum and include at least three programmed days related to or furthering your studies. Any non-study days are not considered eligible for support. 

    If these criteria are met, the department's teacher in charge of the study trip should contact the International Services for the possible funding. Each case is reviewed separately and taking into account the currently available funding. By and large, students going on study trips can be granted 100–150 euros: 100 euros for groups of more than ten students and 150 euros for smaller groups. 

    The grant is paid in individual basis. For applying for the grant, you must fill in and return the Notice of a study or practical training abroad document to the International Services.


    Short Exchange Periods 

    Study exchanges and practical training shorter than the recommended minimum may also receive a grant, but special rules apply; for example, these can be justified if the student is employed full-time or would find longer periods challenging for family reasons. A shorter duration must always have separate justification from the student and the approval of their department. International Services decides whether the support is granted. 

    The minimum duration for a short study or training exchange is two weeks and the maximum is two months. The possible grants is €75/week in this case. For applying for the grant, you must fill in and return the Notice of a study or practical training abroad document to the International Services.

    If you are planning a short-term exchange, please contact International Services for more information.

  • Exchange Destinations

    instakuvat_5.JPGExchange Destinations (study/training) Offered by Oulu UAS

    Oulu UAS offers exchange destinations based on exchange agreements and programmes. You can find them categorised by study field and drawn on a map in the Oulu UAS exchange destination database for exchange students.

    The partner universities of Oulu UAS are mainly study destinations, but some universities do offer practical training opportunities (particularly in the field of social services and healthcare). The opportunities offered by our partner universities are described further in their database entries.  


    Freemover Studies/ Independent Arrangements                       

    You can arrange your own student exchange if you have something in mind that is not offered by Oulu UAS. For further information, please read the Application Times and Process section.

    Grants and International Service support is also available for free mover exchange students. Your student exchange must still be approved by your department and result in studies that can be included in your degree. Always contact your department and International Services well ahead of time if you are planning a free mover exchange.


    Freemover Practical Training/Independent Arrangements 

    As a rule, students must arrange their practical training abroad independently. You will receive information regarding foreign training opportunities at Oulu UAS in Oiva and by email.

    It is well worth the effort to seek out a good training position. Ask questions, have your ear to the ground, and find out what would be a good training position that fits your choice of career. What companies, organisations and associations might have jobs that interest you? What employers and companies do you wish to work for? You can look for a position abroad in a company, organisation or association in your field. Former exchange students and department teachers are good sources of information.

  • Application Times and Process

    Application Times


    The primary application time for exchanges in partner universities is from 15 January to 28 February for the following school year with two exceptions:

    • North2north destinations; from 15 January to 15 February.  
    • The degree programme in Music; from 1 December to 31 January for all destinations. 

    The additional application period for destinations still free after the primary period will be in the following September. You should note that not all universities and programmes will be available for additional application. 

    The times listed above apply to the study exchange and practical training opportunities offered by the partner universities of Oulu UAS. You may apply for independently arranged free mover studies and training at any time during the school year.


    Applying / Oulu UAS Partner Universities

    You must always use the Oulu UAS EXCHANGE APPLICATION PORTAL to submit your application.

    You log in to the portal using your Oulu UAS network credentials. The portal will show you the currently active online application form. You can fill in the application gradually by saving the form and continuing later. 

    The portal will have detailed instructions for each application and the required appendices and attachments. Please note that the application must be supplemented with several appendices and takes careful preparation – it is not a good idea to apply on the last day. 

    PLEASE NOTE: you must also submit an application in the exchange application portal for free mover exchanges. For these, the application process is largely the same as the grant application process, as this will allow the details to be recorded in all the necessary databases. 


    Applying / Freemover Exchange

    Do consider the search for a practical training opportunity as a job search. Contact the place in question politely with your resume and motivation/application letter. You may also mention that you as a student of Oulu UAS you are entitled for a possible practical training grant from the university, which allows you to consider an unpaid position as well.

    If you wish to apply for a study place in a university that is not in the list of official Oulu UAS partner universities, we recommend you to proceed as follows:

    - Contact the international services of the university in question. You may use search terms: international services/ international office/incoming exchange students/ freemover students in order to find a correct contact information.

    - Do mention that you are a degree student of Oulu UAS and that there is no official partnership agreement between the universities. And due to this, you are asking for a possible Freemover exchange opportunity.

    - If a Freemover exchange is possible, please confirm when and how you should apply and if there are any fees included. In some universities Freemover exchanges do include fees.

    Grants and International Service support is also available for free mover exchanges provided that the plan is approved by your department and result in studies that can be included in your degree. Always contact your department and International Services well ahead of time if you are planning a free mover exchange. For applying the grant, you must submit the application via Oulu UAS exchange application portal.

  • Funding and Grants


    The financial aid for the exchange consists of exchange grants given by Oulu UAS as well as if you are entitled for the financial aid from Kela, you can also get it for studies abroad (study grant, housing supplement and increased government student loan guarantee). Furthermore, you may explore the grants offered by local/professional associations and foundations. The use of additional grants is limited, however, as student exchange grants and Kela aid are considered the primary source of student exchange funding. There are also 1-2 supplementary exchange grants that Osako gives for its member students annually.

    As a rule, the exchange destinations offered by Oulu UAS do not charge tuition fees. Smaller expenses also paid by local students, such as study material fees, may be charged. You are responsible for paying any tuition fees and other expenses at independently arranged destinations.

    Grants given by Oulu UAS

    The following general conditions apply to all grants:

    • The studies or practical training must be approved by Oulu UAS and the study department.
    • The exchange must meet the minimum duration requirement: two months training, three months (90 days) studies. Short-term exchanges are an exception. 
    • Exchange studies must be planned together with the head of the programme or the head of training, and the study or training plan required by each exchange type must be prepared.
    • Credits must be accumulated from the exchange studies. The minimum is three credits/month for training and five credits/month for studies.
    • The grant must be applied for before beginning of the exchange. Grants may not be paid retrospectively once an exchange is over.
    • Grants may be reclaimed in part or in full if the above conditions are not met or the student fails to submit the plans, certificates or final report required for each exchange in time. After the official ending date of your exchange, you have one month to complete the process.
    • Every Oulu UAS grant applicant must finish the Orientation to Student Exchange module (3 credits). This online module can be found in Moodle and its completion will be instructed separately.
    • Grants may not be issued for studies or practical training taking place in a student's home country.
    • Students with families or in need of special aid may receive additional support for Erasmus+ programme destinations.
    • If your student exchange includes a grant in addition to the grant given by Oulu UAS grant and its sum is equal to or greater than the Oulu UAS grant, the Oulu UAS grant will not be issued.

    As a rule, grants will be paid using the 80/20 principle. You can receive the 80% of the grant before your exchange period by providing the required documents and the rest 20% of the grant after you finish your exchange and meet certain criteria.

    The nominal amounts and requirements for grants may vary by year. Furthermore, these also vary in part by exchange programme.The following section lists the current grants by programme.

    Financial Aid from Kela

    If you are entitled for the financial aid from Kela, you can also get it for studies abroad (study grant, housing supplement and increased government student loan guarantee). Please see Kela's website for further information.

    Study Exchange Grants

    Erasmus+ (European destinations)

    The host countries are divided into two categories.

    Your grant amount is determined by the destination and the duration (in days) of your exchange. Only the time you need to be present at the receiving university is counted towards the duration considered for the grant.

    Please note that returning even a day early from your exchange will reduce your Erasmus+ grant.

    Bilateral destinations outside Europe

    Grant: €1,200/exchange

    North2north destinations

    In Finland, the north2north grant programme is managed by the Finnish National Agency for Education (EDUFI). Finnish students typically receive between €1,500 and €2,500 per student exchange, depending on the destination and duration.

    The N2N grants are €1,000 (3–5 months) and €1,500 (5–12 months). The student is also provided with a travel grant of €500 for nearby regions (Murmansk and the Nordic countries) and €1,000 for other regions.

    Freemover destinations

    If your destination is outside Europe, the grant is the same as for bilateral agreements – €1,200. If the university is located in a EU country, EEA country or Turkey, the grant is the same as in the Erasmus+ programme. You may only receive a grant for free mover student exchange if your studies are incorporated into your Oulu UAS degree.

    Short-term exchanges, study trips

    Week-long study trips €100 or €150 per student, depending on the total size of the group.

    Short-term exchanges (two weeks to two months) €75/week.

    Practical Training Grants

    Erasmus+ (European destinations)

    Your grant amount is determined by the destination and the duration (in days) of your practical training. The host countries are divided into two categories.

    Destinations outside Europe

    If your destination is outside Europe, the travel grant is €1,200 (single payment) and the practical training grant is €300/month.

    Short-term practical training

    Short-term practical training (two weeks to two months)


  • Insurance and Safety

    You already have a valid travel insurance policy as a student of Oulu UAS, a benefit with monetary value.

    You have a standing insurance policy with LähiTapiola (changes to Fennia from 1 January 2018) that also covers your student exchange.

    You can find the details of the policy in the Counselling and Student Services, Insurance section. The section also links to an excellent video on travel insurance, a written summary of travel insurance and the LähiTapiola terms and conditions for travel and travel liability insurance. Please study the information carefully and consider if you need additional insurances for your trip.

    Good insurance is part of the travel safety. We have collected a list to pay attention to in terms of travel safety. This is included in the Orientation to Student Exchange studies in Moodle as well as in the To Do Lists for the Exchange section.

  • Changes in Exchange Period

    To be soon updated.

  • Credit Recognition


    Crediting means the approval of your competence as part of your degree, study module or course as compulsory or optional studies.

    Crediting Study Exchange

    All studies you complete during your student exchange will be fully credited as part of your degree, provided that they have been appropriately agreed upon and planned with the head of your degree programme in advance. Crediting may take the form of substitution, where foreign credit is substituted for a domestic course or module with similar content. Credits may also be incorporated by adding optional studies to your degree.

    The crediting of exchange studies must be agreed upon beforehand between you, the head of your degree programme and the receiving university. The plan will form a Learning Agreement that you three will sign. By section 32 of the rector's decision on 8 February 2012, credit is primarily allocated in compulsory studies and then optional studies.

    Once you have completed your student exchange and you receive your Transcript of Records from the host university, apply for crediting without delay from the head of your degree programme. There is a dedicated application for crediting that you must attach your foreign Transcript of Records to. The application form is linked in the menu on the right.

    The ECTS grading system is used for crediting. You will receive the same grade for your domestic record as you did for your foreign record (see the conversion table).

    ECTS grade

    Oulu UAS grade


    0, Fail













    Most grades from European universities have an ECTS equivalent. If a course or module was graded using a system that is not compatible with the Oulu UAS or ECTS system, it will be graded as a Pass. You may find a non-ECTS country and destination-specific credit conversion examples in the document menu on the right.


    Crediting Practical Training

    Each campus and department has its own policies regarding practical training. Please consult the supervisor approving your practical training about guidance during your stay abroad.

    All practical training completed abroad will be added to your record. The credit for the practical training will be agreed upon in advance as you sign the training agreement. In addition to completing your mandatory training, practical training abroad may be credited as part of your final project, project/vocational studies, optional studies, etc.

    For approval of the practical training, you will need a certificate of training signed by your employer stating the time and duties of the practical training in brief. Erasmus+ training requires the programme's own traineeship certificate. For other practical training, the reference may be the employer's own document that includes the necessary information, or you may use the Oulu UAS English training certificate template. The forms are linked in the menu on the right.

  • To Do Lists for Exchange

    unspecified (2).jpg

    There are many things you must remember when going on an exchange. The following checklists have been prepared to help you make the necessary preparations. We aim to ensure together that your exchange is as successful and rewarding as possible.

    Applying to Your Destination and Planning Your Studies

    The International Services will contact you if Oulu UAS approves your exchange application, and you can also see the status of application in the application portal. Approval from Oulu UAS means we support your student exchange. The next step is to submit an application to your host university. Final approval of the student exchange requires approval from the host university.

    PLEASE NOTE: The following instructions mainly apply to our partner universities and their study and training opportunities that they offer. Independently arranged practical training is generally arranged by directly contacting employers.

    Every university has their own application process. Your international coordinator will send an email to the host university naming you as an official applicant. You will then receive further instructions on how to apply from International Services or directly from the host university. Follow these instructions.

    The application processes differ and various documentation is required. PLEASE NOTE: You may not need every single one of the following documents. Please verify which documents are required by your host university.

    Motivation letter

    The motivation letter is intended to clarify who you are, what your skills are, how you expect the exchange to benefit your studies, professional competence and yourself.

    Transcript of records

    The English transcript of your records. Make sure to acquire the transcript from Student Services and mention that it is for an exchange.

    Certificate of language skills

    If you have graded studies at Oulu UAS in the language used at your destination, e.g. English, you can get your certificate of language skills from International Services upon request. Otherwise you will need a separate certificate of language skills from your language teacher.

    Attendance certificate or certificate of exchange student status

    Request from International Services.

    A copy of your passport or identity card

    If your passport has expired, you may send a copy of the expired passport if you provide a date for acquiring your new valid passport. You must apply for your new passport well ahead of time.

    Insurance certificate

    You can get your insurance certificate for the Oulu UAS travel insurance from International Services or the insurance contact person at your campus.

    Curriculum vitae

    You can find instructions for preparing your CV on the Europass website, among others.

    Medical/health certificate

    You can acquire a health certificate from your personal physician or from student healthcare services.

    Skill demonstration (mostly for Arts)

    An individual skill demonstration may be requested from students of dance, music and sometimes communications. Their content is specified in the application information for each destination, and today electronic portfolios and Youtube videos and the like are also accepted.

    Prepare your learning agreement or training plan together with the head of your degree programme or the person is charge of training matters– they are always required for the application. The documents are linked in the menu on the right. Please take note of the required minimum credit when you prepare your study or training plan.

    All studies and training completed abroad will be credited in full for your studies at Oulu UAS.

    You must discuss with the head of your degree programme whether your student exchange can substitute for compulsory studies or if it will be credited as optional studies. As a rule, student exchange should further your compulsory studies as much as possible.

    Non-European destinations, as well as some European destinations, use their own credit systems.

    Please take this into account in your plans and find out how the credit from your destination is converted into ECTS credit. For help, have a look at the credit conversion document linked in the menu on the right.

    If you study and train abroad simultaneously, the exchange period will in most cases be considered study exchange. You may complete language studies and maximum 3-5 ECTS other studies presuming that the studies in question are considered to be an essential support your training.

    Before You Leave

    In general

    Complete the Oulu UAS orientation for departing exchange students to receive all the necessary information. The orientation takes place once or twice every term, and new exchange students will be notified of the fact.

    Start the Orientation to Student Exchange module (Y00021E) in Moodle. The module is mandatory for all exchange students and it is completed online. You will receive the introduction and course key during the orientation for departing exchange students. The module and its assignments are intended to ensure the success of your exchange experience.

    Sign up for attendance at Oulu UAS for the duration of your student exchange. You must sign up to receive credit for your studies abroad and financial aid for students from Kela.

    Prepare to live in a new culture. No culture is worse than any other – just different. More information on how to adjust to a new culture is available online; try searching for "culture shock" or "cultural adaptation".

    Be prepared to use the local language and study it in advance.

    Think in advance what you know and would like to tell others about Finland, Oulu and Oulu UAS. Out in the world, you represent your home country, Oulu and Oulu UAS. Excellent information on Finland, Finns and the Finnish culture can be found on the This is Finland website. Information about Oulu can be found on the Oulu travel information website and Oulu UAS has a presentation page and dedicated exchange pages available for use.

    Pack presents! You may well come across situations where a small present from Finland would be nice or even necessary.

    Housing and Kela aid

    Find accommodation at your destination. Your future host university will often arrange for housing or help you find some based on your application. Carefully read the terms of tenancy, as they will vary by country. Always make written agreements on everything related to housing.

    Take care of your housing-related matters in Oulu, such as clearing out or letting your apartment, amending your electricity contract, notifying the authorities of your change of address, etc. You can also sublet your apartment with the permission of your lessor and find an apartment abroad with the HousingAnywhere service.

    Send a notification of changes (OTm in Finnish or OT 15e in English) in Kela's online portal to receive both your study grant and housing supplement abroad. Any retroactive aid can only be issued from the start of the month it was applied for.

    Grant application

    Once your student exchange has been confirmed, you must apply for the grant. Grants are paid in two instalments of 80% and 20% of the grant's total sum; the first instalment of 80% is paid approximately one month before you begin your student exchange. The amounts are listed in the Exchange grants section.

    Explore additional funding. You should see if your local paper is interested in paying you for writing articles from abroad, or if there is an association or other organisation that is willing to sponsor you. OSAKO also grants financial support for studies and practical training abroad. Furthermore, there exist various foundations you can apply to for additional support.

    Erasmus+ exchange students:

    Complete the online OLS language assessment required for the Erasmus+ grant. You will be automatically invited by email at a time declared to you by International Services. If your grade is less than B1, you will be automatically invited to an optional online course that you should take.

    Fill out the Erasmus+ grant agreement for studies and/or traineeships (link in the menu on the right) and submit it to International Services. Fill out the agreement once the exact dates of your student exchange are known – the grant is paid based on the dates listed on the agreement. The exchange start date should be the first day when you must be present at your destination (e.g. the first day of the term, orientation programme or language course). The exchange end date must be the last day your presence is required (e.g. the last day of the term or exam period).

    Make sure you have a completed Erasmus+ Learning Agreement signed by all parties that you can attach to your grant agreement.

    If you have children, you can also apply for additional Erasmus+ family aid.

    If you have a health-related condition (illness, disability, etc.) that will incur extra costs, you can apply for Erasmus+ special needs support.

    Non-Erasmus+ exchange students:

    Fill out the student's notice for studies and practical training abroad (link in the menu on the right) and submit it to International Services. You will need to attach and also the completed learning agreement or training agreement.

    Insurance and safety

    Secure your insurance coverage. Oulu UAS has taken out an insurance policy that covers your studies and practical training abroad. More information about the insurance policy is available in the Insurance section. Please read the terms of the insurance carefully and consider what supplementary coverage may be required for your destination.

    Pick up your Oulu UAS insurance card from the insurance contact person on your campus before you depart for your student exchange. Your insurance is valid without the card, but it is a valuable tool abroad.

    Check the validity of your passport and get a new one if needed. Some countries require your passport to be valid for three to six months after your trip has ended, and at least until you return home. Most EU countries allow travel with an ID card, but you should always bring your passport. For example, if you would like to travel outside your destination, your ID card may not be enough for travel to some countries.

    Keep copies of your passport and identification card, both paper and electronic (e.g. in your email account) for emergencies. This will make things easier for you if you lose the original documents.

    Apply for a visa or residence permit at the embassy of your host country if this is their national requirement. EU countries always require the permit for a residence lasting more than three months. In this case, the permit is applied for when you arrive. Please note that different countries have different visa application practices, and the waiting times may be extensive.

    Find out what the work permit process is for your destination if you will be employed or are undertaking practical training. EU citizens enjoy the freedom of free movement of workers, meaning that they will not need a separate work permit in other EU countries.

    If you are an EU citizen, order your European Health Insurance Card from Kela. The card will take about two weeks to arrive. The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) allows you access to the necessary care in all EU and EEA countries, as well as Switzerland. The card is free and you can apply for it on Kela's website.

    Find out if vaccinations or other medical precautions are required for your destination and make the necessary arrangements with student healthcare services. For more information, see the traveller health guide, Matkailijan terveysopas (in Finnish), prepared by the Finnish National Institute for Health and Welfare (THL).

    If you have a medical condition or need permanent medication, please consult your attending physician before leaving. Find out how the treatment of your medical condition and issues relating to your medication will be arranged at the destination. Also, check how much of the costs incurred by your underlying illness are covered by the Oulu UAS insurance policy. When the condition is known or pre-existing, the insurance policy may not always cover the related expenses.

    Be prepared for challenges. Although an exchange period is rewarding, adapting to a new culture, a foreign environment and a new language may take its toll at times. Please remember that if you are suffering or have suffered from psychiatric issues, you should exercise due consideration and discuss with a professional and the student healthcare services about your ability to undertake an exchange and the related challenges.

    Get to know the safety concerns and security situation at your destination. For information on foreign countries, study the travel advisories of your host country. If exceptional natural phenomena can be expected at your destination, please see the travel instructions regarding natural phenomena by the University of Helsinki Department of Geosciences and Geography.

    Register your travel with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for the duration of your exchange. Official confirmation of your stay abroad is useful in case of risks and emergencies, and you will be able to receive instructions and information from the ministry.

    Pick up the Oulu UAS emergency contact information card, fill it out and carry it with you abroad. The so-called "ICE card" (In Case of Emergency) is available from International Services at your campus.

    Learn how you will be able to use your bank account abroad and acquire all necessary cards and identifiers from your bank. Make a note of all card numbers and card termination service phone numbers; save them in your email and on your phone so you can get to them quickly, if necessary.

    Contacting your host.

    Find out the name and contact information of your contact person and possible receiving party as well as your local address. Carry the information with you in your hand baggage so you can find your way even if your travel plans change.


    Sign up at the university's office for international affairs and ask them to fill out and sign the arrival section of the Certificate of Stay (link in the menu on the right). Scan the signed document and send it to your international coordinator at Oulu UAS.

    Notify your international coordinator at Oulu UAS of your local address and update your information in Peppi. For safety and security reasons, Oulu UAS must have current contact information for students staying abroad.

    Sign your local rent agreement if you did not do so from Finland. Get firm confirmation of how your rental deposit will be treated, i.e. do you get it back or will it be held as the last month's rent. If you find faults or defects with your apartment, notify your lessor immediately. This will ensure that you do not have to pay for damage caused by someone else as you leave.

    Get the details of your study programme and make the necessary changes in your study or training plan. Remember to declare any changes within a month of your arrival and get approval from the head of your degree programme as instructed by International Services.

    Keep all notes, guides, etc. you receive for completed modules and bring them back with you when you return. These may be helpful in crediting the studies.

    Remember: you need a minimum of 5 ECTS credits/month for studies and a minimum of 3 ECTS credits/month for practical training. If this proves challenging, contact Oulu UAS without delay. The situation and possible solutions can be reviewed with the head of your degree programme and International Services.

    Keep an eye on your Oulu UAS email account. This is of vital importance, as you must sign up for attendance in the coming terms and sign up for studies according to the Oulu UAS schedule.

    If you face serious illness or are hospitalised, please notify your next of kin and also Oulu UAS. This will allow us to stay up to date on your situation and see what we can do to support you. The Oulu UAS International Services has a 24/7 service number you can call at home and abroad: +358 206 110 299. Please note that this number is not an emergency number – any immediate emergency assistance must be requested using the national emergency number in your current country. Use the Oulu UAS service number for cases where Oulu UAS should receive immediate notice, such as a serious or life-threatening accident, injury, illness or other acute crisis. If the service number agent cannot answer you within 40 seconds, you will be directed to the answering machine. Always leave a message! Also give your phone number so that we may call you back.

    Stay in touch with your international coordinator during your student exchange. You are not alone. For example, you can send them a monthly digest of how you are doing. If you have met with difficulty during your stay, define them precisely and get to know your rights and responsibilities. Discuss the matters with the school's office for international affairs and notify Oulu UAS.

    Update your experience on Instagram, #oamkabroad. We also use Instagram to keep up with the world and publish student photos on the Oulu UAS Instagram feed.


    If your study exchange or practical training was with an Oulu UAS partner university, request a completed Certificate of Stay (link in the menu on the right) that states the start and end dates of your exchange. The final grant amount will be calculated based on the certificate and full payment requires that the certificate is handed in – note the date you have declared as the final day when you applied for the grant. Should your actual date of departure differ from the date you have declared on your original application, and you have completed all the planned studies, request that the receiving university mark your certificate with the original date, if possible.

    Once you have completed your study exchange, get a transcript of records for the studies you have completed. If the grades are still pending, as is often the case, find out when and how you will be able to receive your transcript.

    If you have completed freemover practical training, get a certificate of training that states the start and end dates, your duties and the amount of working hours completed. You can use the employer's document template or the Oulu UAS template (link in the menu on the right).

    Submit your final exchange report in MoveOn.

    Complete the Orientation to Student Exchange module in Moodle.

    Meet with your campus' international coordinator as soon as you return. This will allow you to wrap things up and clarify any remaining questions.

    Apply for the crediting of your foreign credit as soon as possible after you return to avoid a request for clarification from Kela. Your credit from studies and training is always approved by the head of your degree programme or the head of training. Instructions for the application are in the Study exchange and practical training abroad section.

    Erasmus+ exchange students must also fill out the European Commission survey regarding their student exchange. You will receive an automatic invitation to the survey after your exchange; the message will have "Erasmus+ Participant Report" in the title. In addition, the Erasmus+ exchange students must complete the second part of the OLS test. You will also receive an automatic invitation to complete the test.

    Please note that to receive the second instalment of your grant, all of the above must be completed within one month from your last day in exchange (studies or training). To clarify, this is not within one month of your return, but within one month from the date you had your last exchange day of studies, exams, etc. An electronic process is available if you cannot be present in person to handle these matters.

    Update your contact information in Peppi and return your Oulu UAS insurance card to Student Services.

    Take your time getting over the shock of coming home and participate in return orientation. Your life and outlook in Finland may not be the same as they were before you left for your exchange. You can go through the same emotional rollercoaster you faced when you adapted to the new culture at your destination. OSAKO and International Services hold a joint return orientation once every term. Please take advantage of the opportunity, as the return orientation is an excellent informal opportunity to meet other exchange students and share your experiences!

    Encourage your friends! Prepare to be potentially invited as a speaker to various events – your personal exchange experience makes you the best advocate for the benefits and experiences that student exchange has to offer.

    After your exchange you can keep up your international spirit and language skills by tutoring international students arriving in Oulu and participating in OSAKO's international activities.

  • Exchange Stories

    The best experts on student exchange and the Oulu UAS partner destinations are you, our exchange students.  The reports and stories of former exchange students are available in Asio.

    You can also find snapshots from current exchange students on Instagram under #oamkabroad.  The photographs featured here were also taken by Oulu UAS students about their worldly experiences and published on Instagram.

  • FAQ


    1. What is the meaning and content of "an exchange"?

    A (student) exchange is a student's opportunity to go abroad for studies (study exchange) or a traineeship (practical training abroad). An exchange may be studies, practical training, or both (with certain conditions). 

    2. Who can apply for an exchange? 

    You can find the requirements for a student exchange in the Studying Abroad section. The section also covers the rules for study exchange. The conditions for practical training abroad are under Practical Training Abroad. 

    3. Where can I go for a study exchange?

    You can find our exchange destrination database in the Exchange Destinations section. The database allows you to search for destinations by study field, country or degree programme, and also by keywords.

    Portal_seraching for study place.JPG

    The portal will display the results on a map. You can see more information about a destination by selecting it. Example: 


    Furthermore, you may also arrange the destination independently and carry out a so called freemover exchange.

    4. How do I know what studies I can complete abroad? 

    The best source to answer this is the website of the receiving university. We have made every effort to link the English course selection of as many universities as possible in the exchange destination database (Website for studies for exchange students, see the example screen capture in the previous answer), or at least provide a link to useful information for students heading to the destination in question. 

    Always make your study plan well ahead of time together with the head of your degree programme or your department's international academic coordinator.

    5. What financial aid is available for exchange students? 

    Information on grants is available under Funding. The section covers funding in general and the programme-specific grants. The website of Kela has more information for students seeking the national financial aid for students and its housing supplement.

    6. I would like to go twice, to study and undertake practical training abroad for example. Is this possible?  

    You can make use of multiple exchange opportunities and grants during your studies. For example, you can complete a four-month practical training abroad in Germany and five months of study exchange in the Czech Republic, as Erasmus+ allows for 12 months of student aid.

    You can also go for an exchange in the north2north exchange programme and have a second study exchange under the Erasmus+ programme. 

    Always remember as you start planning or sending applications that each exchange requires your degree programme's approval. 

    7. Can I apply for study exchange at any time? 

    The Oulu UAS partner universities have their own application periods. These are listed under Application Times and Process. The periods vary by exchange programme and you should pay close attention to them. 

    Applications are open all year round for independently arranged freemover exchanges.

    8. Does practical training abroad have application periods? 

    You can find information on practical training application periods in the Application Times and Process section. As a rule, if you arrange your own practical training, you can apply whenever, but if you apply for a training opportunity at one of our partner universities, there will be a strict application period. 

Documents for the Outgoing Students

Prior to the exchange

Erasmus+ studies and training
rivityyppi Nimi
Kv/lähtevä opiskelijaErasmus+ Grant agreement/application for studies and/or traineeships 2017-2018fileicon[.doc] Erasmus+ Grant agreement/application for studies and/or traineeships 2017-2018  (Erasmus+ Grant Agreement a.y. 2017-2018 (the form does not work with freeware!))
Kv/lähtevä opiskelijaErasmus+ Learning Agreement for Studiesfileicon[.doc] Erasmus+ Learning Agreement for Studies  (Learning Agreement for Erasmus+ student exchanges)
Kv/harjoitteluvaihtoErasmus+ Learning Agreement for Traineeshipsfileicon[.doc] Erasmus+ Learning Agreement for Traineeships
Kv/lähtevä opiskelijaGrant application/ accessibility grantfileicon[.doc] Grant application/ accessibility grant  (Accessibility grant application for specific purposes only)
Bilateral and freemover study / short exchange
rivityyppi Nimi
Kv/lähtevä opiskelijaLearning Agreementfileicon[.doc] Learning Agreement  (Ei-Erasmus+ vaihtoihin/ For non Erasmus+ exchanges)
Kv/harjoitteluvaihtoNotice of Study or Practical Training Abroad Periodfileicon[.doc] Notice of Study or Practical Training Abroad Period  (for non Erasmus placements)
Kv-asiatTraining agreementfileicon[.doc] Training agreement  (Kahdenvälisiin sekä itsehankittuihin harjoitteluihin/ For bilateral and self-acquired training)
Bilateral and freemover training
rivityyppi Nimi
Kv/harjoitteluvaihtoNotice of Study or Practical Training Abroad Periodfileicon[.doc] Notice of Study or Practical Training Abroad Period  (for non Erasmus placements)
Kv-asiatTraining agreementfileicon[.doc] Training agreement  (Kahdenvälisiin sekä itsehankittuihin harjoitteluihin/ For bilateral and self-acquired training)

On arrival

Study exchange/ all types
rivityyppi Nimi
Kv/lähtevä opiskelijaCertificate of Stayfileicon[.doc] Certificate of Stay  (Todistus vaihdon kestosta/ Proof of the exchange period)

After the exchange

Study exchange/ all types
rivityyppi Nimi
Kv/lähtevä opiskelijaCertificate of Stayfileicon[.doc] Certificate of Stay  (Todistus vaihdon kestosta/ Proof of the exchange period)
Erasmus+ traineeships
rivityyppi Nimi
Kv/harjoitteluvaihtoErasmus+ Learning Agreement for Traineeshipsfileicon[.doc] Erasmus+ Learning Agreement for Traineeships
Bilateral and freemover training
rivityyppi Nimi
Kv/harjoitteluvaihtoHarjoittelutodistus/ Training Certificatefileicon[.doc] Harjoittelutodistus/ Training Certificate  (Kahdenväliset ja itsehankitut harjoittelut/ Freemover and bilateral training)
Exchange study recognition
rivityyppi Nimi
Kv/lähtevä opiskelijaApplication for Accredidation - Compensation of Studies Completed Abroadfileicon[.doc] Application for Accredidation - Compensation of Studies Completed Abroad
Credit conversions

Other materials

Exchange programmes

Erasmus+ programme
rivityyppi Nimi
Muu dokumenttiErasmus Policy Statementfileicon[.pdf] Erasmus Policy Statement  (Oamkin Erasmus-politiikkalausunto/-strategia)
Muu dokumenttiOamkin Erasmus+ -peruskirjafileicon[.pdf] Oamkin Erasmus+ -peruskirja  (Oamkin oikeudet ja velvollisuudet, voimassa 2014 - 2020)
OhjeOpiskelijan Erasmus-peruskirjafileicon[.pdf] Opiskelijan Erasmus-peruskirja  (Erasmus-opiskelijan oikeudet ja velvollisuudet)


Kansainväliset Palvelut / International Services

Katja Kurasto (Engineering, Health and Social Care, Natural Resources & Media and Performing Arts)
Piritta Nätynki (Business, ICT) (korvaa # -> @)
Administrator of the page: Sami Niemelä  |  Page updated: November 24th, 2017