Instructions due to coronavirus situation for Oamk students currently on or planning for exchange in spring 2020
Published: 12 March 2020 at 16:01 :: News from Oamk
In light of the recent developments with the coronavirus, there is now an increased risk of infection worldwide and this affects also the Oulu University of Applied Sciences (Oamk) students currently on exchange in different destinations worldwide. As a consequence, Oamk has now updated the guidelines for the coronavirus situation.
As of March 12, Oamk recommends that all students currently on exchange return home from the exchange destinations. Oamk will compensate immediate extra travel costs incurred to the student. The compensation covers costs that are not compensated by the student’s travel insurance or by the mobility grant (eg. Erasmus+ grant). During your travel, make sure to follow the guidelines provided by local and international authorities, Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland and Oamk and practice good hand hygiene throughout your travel.
Students returning from exchange or internship abroad must study remotely from home for a period of 14 days.
Oamk recommends, that students planning to go on exchange or internships abroad later in the Spring 2020 will cancel their plans.
Follow updates on the instructions on
- Oamk's website https://www.oamk.fi/en/about-oamk/news-and-events/coronavirus-and-contingency-at-oamk
- Oiva (students): https://oiva.oamk.fi/ajankohtaista/uutiset/?kieli=en&kid=68&id=64660
- Heimo (staff): https://heimo.oamk.fi/ajankohtaista/uutiset/?ak_osio=uutisjuttu&id=64660&tiedote_id=64660
What to do next
- Contact your travel insurance company about the situation and to find out e.g. possible compensations from the travel insurance
- In general, the students can keep the mobility grants up to the total sum they have been granted even if the exchange would be interrupted prematurely due to the coronavirus epidemic. More detailed information regarding e.g. the force majeure procedure of the Erasmus+ programme will be sent separately to the concerned students.
- When travelling, follow the travel bulletins and instructions of the Finnish Ministry for Foreign Affairs (only available in Finnish). Submit also a travel notification to the Finnish Ministry for Foreign Affairs if you have not done it already earlier. Follow also communication of your home university. https://oiva.oamk.fi/ajankohtaista/uutiset/?kieli=en&kid=68&id=64660
- When travelling you must always follow local authorities’ instructions and recommendations on disease prevention.
- If you, irrespective of the recommendation of higher education institutions, decide to remain in or travel to your exchange destination, you will do it on your own responsibility.
In Finland the Finnish Institute of Health and Welfare THL follows the coronavirus situation in cooperation with the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control ECDC and the World Health Organization WHO. Current information of the Finnish authorities regarding this issue has been published on THL’s website: https://thl.fi/en/web/infectious-diseases/what-s-new/coronavirus-covid-19-latest-updates
Instructions for those travelling in the epidemic areas: https://thl.fi/en/web/infectious-diseases/what-s-new/coronavirus-covid-19-latest-updates/instructions-for-people-travelling-in-the-epidemic-area-coronavirus-covid-19
Instructions for those returning from the epidemic areas: https://thl.fi/en/web/infectious-diseases/what-s-new/coronavirus-covid-19-latest-updates/instructions-for-passengers-arriving-in-finland-coronavirus-covid-19-
If you, after returning from an epidemic area, and suspect a coronavirus contraction,
- in Oulu you should contact the Emergency Department of the Oulu University Hospital by telephone tel. 08 – 315 2655.
- In Oulainen: on weekdays at 8 – 16 the Emergency Department of Oulainen Health Care Centre, tel. 08 – 479 3401, and at other times the Oulaskangas Emergency Department, tel. 08 – 315 7840
You will be given further instructions for seeking medical help on the phone.