PrinLab - Development Laboratory for Printed Intelligence
PrinLab offers Printed Intelligence (also known as Printed Electronics) design, manufacturing and test services to support R&D work. PrinLab and its crew also participates in national and international multidisciplinary development projects as well as in educational matters. PrinLab is a part of the PrintoCent.
At PrinLab we use different printing techniques in sheet and roll-to-roll processes. Our facilities are well equipped also with testing and measurement capabilities. Visit PrinLab! Could Your product or service benefit from printed and intelligent technology?
What is Printed Intelligence (Printed Electronics)?
Printed Intelligence (Printed Electronics) is functionality which can be manufactured using different printing techniques in small batches as well as in mass volumes.
Using printable functional materials and thin lightweight flexible substrates almost all kinds of new applications are possible to manufacture. Of course, printed functionality can be embedded to existing systems and applications.
Atmospheric Plasma treatment system
Plasma treatment system provides a solution for the cleaning and activation of component surfaces before further processing. Plasma surface treatment can be used to improve wettability and adhesion of ink, glues and coatings on many different surfaces.
Plasma treatment system has following properties:
- potential free discharge
- high speed production (both sheet and R2R process)
- automatic discharge air regulation
- standby air flow
- output discharge control
- PlasmaREMOTE HMI control unit
- 5 Plasma generators with PlasmaTEC-X nozzles
Dimatix material printer
Dimatix DMP-2800 is a cost-effective, easy-to-use precision materials deposition system.
DMP can be used in applications such as:
- Material and ink development and evaluation
- Printed electronics prototype and sample generation
- Ink and substrate interactions evaluation
- Printed electronics product development
- Optimization and evaluation of digital patterns
- Deposition of biological fluids
Ekra E2 silkscreen printer
The E2 semi-automatic screen and stencil printer has been designed for printing of a large variety of flexible and rigid substrates for applications with small to medium size production volumes, R&D as well as prototyping purposes.
Our Ekra E2 is equipped with:
- manual optical positioning system MOPS
- print nest 250 x 250 mm with porous stone
- vacuum option with standalone vacuum pump
- diamond squeegees 250 mm and 125 mm 70 – 75 shA
FocalSpec X400 surface topography measurement system
Topography scanner system has following properties:
- non contact optical measurement
- 3D topography
- Film thickness
- Measurement speed up to 675000 3D-points/s
- 2000 points/line
- 4.4 mm length/line
- 2.2 x 10 x 1 µm point resolution (X x Y x Z)
- Precision / point < 1 µm
GCC Laserpro Spirit LS CO2 laser engraver
40 W CO2 laser engraver for engraving and cutting of several materials.
- 640 x 460 mm working area
- 10.6 µm sealed CO2 laser
- AAS cameramodule for accurate registration
More specific information: GCC Spirit LS
Graphtec CE 6000-40 Cutting plotter
Knife cutting plotter with supersteel blade for cutting several different materials into desired shape.
More info on the equipment.
Hönle UVACUBE 2000 UV curing chamber
UV curing chamber for laboratory use and small scale manufacturing processes.
- Lamp power 2 kW with two level power setting.
- working capacity of 45 x 40 x 30 cm
Equipped with UVAPRINT 100-200 HPV UV radiation device which can be attached also to PrinLab R2R line.
More info on the equipment.
nScrypt Tabletop 3Dn dispensing system
The tabletop series dispensing tool is an XYZ computer controlled platform that can drive precision dispensing pumps. Any pattern can be printed in the XY plane and and also conformal printing on non flat surfaces angled up to 45° is possible. nScan surface mapping sensor enables grid map job and can be also used for single point height detection.
The tabletop series micro dispense pump dispensing system offer precision in both 3D (XYZ) printing accuracy and dispensing volume.
Our Tabletop dispensing system is equipped with:
- Heated Smartpump 100, generation 1
- Process view camera system
- Heated vacuum chuck
- Operator assisted vision alignment
- nScan Surface Mapping (Point Sensor)
Interface for electrochemical sensors.
- PSTrace program with serial and USB cable connection to PC
- Shielded cable with connections for a working, counter and reference electrode
- AC adapter and built-in battery for standalone operation
- PalmSens SDK for making custom measurements
MultiEmStat multi-channel potentiostat
- Multi potentiostat with 8 independent EmStat2 potentiostats.
- MultiTrace + PSTrace software and USB cable connection to PC
SOM-100 R2R device
R2R device is equipped with Flexo, Gravure, Hot embossing and Rotary screen printing units. It also has hot air drying capacity of 5,5 m.
Main adjustable parameters & limiting values:
- web speed 0,1 – 26 (flexo 18) m/min
- web tension
- controlled printing unit speed (compared to web speed)
- web width max. 80 mm
- Print repeat length 409,58 mm
Seminars, Education and Events
Besides the engineering education we arrange multidisciplinary training events, seminars and courses. Let us know if you have something special in mind!
Ask from our personnel!
Thesis and other student work
Every year we have several students doing their thesis work or practice related to studies. Students can be from different areas of expertize. Typically the work done for the PrinLab are mechanical design, electronics, software and laboratory/chemistry work.
If you have an idea or need for a thesis worker related to Printed Intelligence, please contact our crew!