Enrolment of the students admitted in 2015 and onwards
According to the Universities Act/Polytechnics Act (932(2014) a first-year student may register as absent for the academic year for the following reasons only:
- 1) service under the Conscription Act (1438/2007), Non-Military Service Act (1446/2007), or Act on Women's Voluntary Military Service (194/1995);
- 2) maternity, paternity or parental leave;
- 3) the student cannot begin studies due to being incapacitated by personal illness or injury.
Documents proving the legal grounds for your absence must be received by the date of acceptance of the study place.
Enrolment of the students admitted in 2014 or earlier
It is compulsory for every student to enroll at the Oulu University of Applied Sciences every academic year. The enrolment must be completed for the whole academic year (1st August – 31st July). First year students have to enroll according to the instructions given in the notification of admission. If a student has not completed his/her enrolment within the given time limit he/she will lose his/her right to study.
A student admitted to education leading to a UAS qualification must confirm his or her acceptance of the study place by the date given in the acceptance letter. A student who has been admitted from a reserve place must confirm that he or she will accept the study place by the date set by the university of applied sciences. If the applicant does not confirm the acceptance of the study place by the deadline, he or she will lose it.
If the applicant does not wish to accept the study place to which he or she has been admitted, he or she will notify the university of applied sciences in question of this fact in writing.
Enrolment is carried out simultaneously with the official confirmation of the study place. Enrolment as an attending or absent student is carried out every academic year. The enrolment alternatives are:
At the beginning of the academic year:
- attending during the whole academic year
- absent during the whole academic year
- attending during the autumn term and absent during the spring term
- absent during the autumn term and attending during the spring term
Students commencing their studies at the beginning of the spring term:
- attending during the spring term
- absent during the spring term
A student can enrol as absent for a total of one academic year. This will not reduce the validity period of his or her study right. Absence without notice reduces the student's study right duration.
The rights of an attending student:
- It is possible to complete courses.
- The student is entitled to receive student financial aid and meal subsidy as well as certain benefits for members of the student union (e.g. travel discounts).
The rights of an absent student:
- It is not possible to complete courses.
- An absent student is not entitled to receive student financial aid and meal subsidy or certain benefits for members of the student union (e.g. travel discounts).
- Enrolment as an absent student for two academic years is not to be included in the prescribed maximum duration of studies, if the student has completed his/her enrolment as absent within the given time limit.
Obligations of a student who continues studies after an absence:
- During the student's absence the curriculum may have changed substantially, so he or she must earn the lacking ECTS credits according to the latest valid curriculum.
- It is necessary to review and possibly update the personal study plan before continuing the studies.
Possible changes to the student's attendance or absence notification are at the discretion of the school in question.
A study right may be returned upon application in the manner prescribed by the rector.
With regard to specialised vocational studies, the confirmation of the study place and enrolment in studies takes place in a manner determined by the university of applied sciences of which the applicant will be informed when he or she is notified of being admitted as a student. It is not possible to enrol as absent in specialised vocational studies.