Transfer Student Selection
A transfer student is considered to be a student who has a valid right to study at another Finnish higher education institution or at Oamk
- whose study right is transferred from one higher education institution to another
- inside the higher education institution from one study field to another
- inside the higher education institution from one degree programme to another within the same field of study so that the degree title related to the objective degree changes.
When transfer students accept a new study right, they simultaneously lose the study right on which the transfer is based. (Act 257/2015).
What does the same field of study mean?
Transfer student selection is based on the degree titles defined in The Government Decree on Polytechnics (1129/2014):
- Bachelor of Business Administration (Degree Programme in International Business)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Degree Programme in Information Technology)
- Master of Culture and Arts (Degree Programme in Education Entrepreneurship)
- Master of Engineering (Degree Programme in Printed Intelligence, Degree Programme in Water and Environmental Management)
- Master of Health Care (Degree Programme in Clinical Optometry)
When transferring from university to university of applied sciences the nearest possible field is applied, if there is one.
The admission criteria for transfer student selection at Oulu University of Applied Sciences according to the decision 17.3.2017 § 15 are as follows:
- The applicant has a valid right to study in a Finnish higher education institution.
- The applicant’s prior studies and the courses offered by the University of Applied Sciences enable graduation within the optimal time.
- The applicant has enrolled as present at a higher education institution for at least one year.
- The applicant has accumulated on average at least 55 ECTS credits per academic year.
- The applicant passes possible interview/entrance examination required for the degree.
- The resources of the educational department allow the admission of a new student to the degree programme.
Applicants who have accumulated less than 55 ECTS credits per academic year can be taken into consideration for special reasons if the resources of the educational department allow the admission of a new student to the degree programme. In the field of Health and Social Care the applicants are asked about health factors that might hinder the studies. The applicant must fulfill all above mentioned criteria and deliver related documents by the given deadline.
Applicants must fill in the online application (Stydyinfo-service) which can be found on this website during the application period. The application must be accompanied by an up-to-date transcript of records stamped and signed by the higher education institution, separate certificates of the study attainments that are not recorded in the study register, a study certificate stating the number of terms the applicant has enrolled as present and absent and a possible separate account of the reasons for applying for a transfer. Transfer students are selected twice a year. Applicants can apply to all degree programmes. The application period for spring is in May and for autumn in November. Applicants can complete their application until the end of the application period by contacting Student Services (see contact information below). The student selection will be made based on the confirmed documents available in the end of the application period.
The application period in spring 2020 is from 4th May to 18th May. The application period ends in the last application day at 3 p.m. when the application together with the appendices must be uploaded to the online database. Additional application period will not be arranged. Following study programs are available during this application period:
Education Entrepreneurship (Master of Culture and Arts)
Bachelor of Engineering (Information Technology)
Bachelor of Business Administration (International Business)
Transfer Student Selection and Appeal
After the decision concerning transfer student selection has been made, Student Services will inform the applicants of the decision. The applicants will be informed of the results of the student selection by 30th June (Application period in spring) by 15th December (Application period in autumn) The applicant will be informed in the letter of admission of the dates when the confirmation of acceptance of the study place and the enrollment information must be submitted. If the applicant is not satisfied with the transfer student selection, he/she can apply in writing to the Board of Oulu University of Applied Sciences for a rectification within 14 days of the publication of the results of student selection. (Act 257/2015).
Right to study
Transfer from one degree programme to another inside Oulu UAS without changing the degree title If a student applying for transfer within Oulu UAS so that the degree title remains unchanged, the process is referred to as changing the degree programme instead of transfer. The application and selection proceedings of the transfer student selection are applied also to these applicants.