Professional Teacher Education
Have you thought about becoming a qualified teacher? We offer teacher education in English in Oulu. If you are thinking of becoming a qualified teacher, the next application period to teacher education is 3–18 January 2024 in Studyinfo.
Professional teacher education studies are meant for vocational teachers and teacher candidates who plan to work at vocational institutions or at universities of applied sciences and who have a higher education. Studies in the Professional Teacher Education Programme consist of 60 ECTS credits and provide you with teacher qualifications in your own professional field.
At the School of Professional Teacher Education we offer flexible individualized study paths. Combining study and work is well feasible with our blended forms of learning. You can spread your studies over a period of three years or you can graduate even in a year. It’s up to you! Our combination of summer, autumn and spring semesters facilitates year-round studying.
Professional teacher education provides you with modern qualifications to implement teaching in a contemporary competence-based education system. During your studies you will demonstrate and share your competencies, supplement your prior learning and study completely new areas of pedagogical interest according to your Personal Study Plan (PSP).
Professional Teacher Education Program
Teacher education programme is meant for teachers and teacher applicants who plan to work at universities of applied sciences or at vocational institutions/colleges. In most cases, you need a higher education degree (or recognized equivalent) and 3 years of professional work experience in a relevant field. The degree and work experience must be completed by the end of the application period. The programme combines various learning environments and multiform methods: contact teaching in Oulu, group work, e-learning, teaching practice in an educational institution, self-study and digital learning solutions.
- Language of instruction: English
- Number of credits: 60 ECTS credits
- Qualification: Finnish pedagogical teaching qualification
- Application deadline: 18 January 2024 in Studyinfo
- Note: Please notice that this on-line programme might not make you eligible for a study-based residence permit in Finland for non-EU/EEA citizens. You may not be granted a visa based on these studies. Teacher education process is pre planned for a period of one year, but the students have up to 3 years to complete the 60 credit teacher programme
Forms of study
- The studies begin with online-tutoring sessions and face-to-face orientation days in Oulu in the autumn and continue as distance learning in webinars, where students gather simultaneously in an online environment.
- Studying also requires commitment to the activities of smaller teams and to the schedules agreed in small groups.
- Students are selected only from those who have applied for this study group/form of study. The applicant's field of education does not affect the selection. 20 students are selected for the group/study format in the order of the application points.
- Teaching is in English, so good oral and written English language skills are required. The applicant may be asked for a language certificate and/or will be interviewed for the acknowledgement of their language proficiency.
- Education as distance learning does not necessarily entitle you to a residence permit in Finland based on study or a visa.
Professional Teacher Education timetable 2023
General information about the studies:
- The studies are competence based. You will progress in your studies according to a personal study plan (PSP) based on a guidance discussion. You will assess, develop and demonstrate your skills in different learning environments and situations. The length of the study period is individual, and it is possible to study all year round.
- Your studies include contact and distance learning, working independently and in a team, as well as teaching in your own workplace and in your teaching practice. The studies use diverse learning environments and tools, as well as various working methods.
- The scheduled work in the study groups (consisting of 19 study days) is planned for the first year of study. Please see the schedule for 2022 above. In addition to this, you will study and work on the competence goals independently and, at other times, with your team. The orientation days in Oulu are compulsory to begin your studies.
- In the study group, you will focus on the studies of professional pedagogical competence in teacher education. You will complete the basics of educational science, optional studies and teaching practice according to your own personal study plan (PSP). Studying in an online program requires commitment to the activities with smaller teams who work outside scheduled webinars.
- The content of the contact days is shaped according to the needs of the study group and the students' competence-based study path. Team and personal tutoring are an integral part of the study group's work.
- Studies require skills in use of information and communication tools and active participation in different digital learning environments. The student must have a microphone, web camera and a reliable, high-capacity internet connection. The student should also have the administrator rights to their own computer to install necessary software or plug-ins.
- Students are eligible to start their studies on the 1st of June 2022. The orientation days and online webinars will start at the beginning of the autumn semester.
- You will have the opportunity to start working on your studies already during the summer. For more information, please discuss with your group's tutor at the beginning of your studies.
- More information about the studies in Student’s Guide.