Future is made in Master’s degree in Clinical Optometry
Arto Hartikainen is studying clinical optometry in Oulu University of Applied Sciences. Arto says that the studies requires persistence and motivation, but will certainly open the doors to a diverse career in the future.
Photo: Mikko-Pekka Karlin
Arto Hartikainen, who is studying a Master’s degree in Clinical Optometry in Oamk, has the first half a year of his studies behind him. He has already found the studies very inspiring. Arto has been working as an optician for 33 years, but his constant hunger for knowledge has remained throughout his career.
– When the opportunity to study a Master’s degree in optometry came so close and easily achievable, I immediately thought that I have to take this opportunity, Arto says.
First half a year of the studies in clinical optometry consists methods of research and knowledge production and initiating your own research. This will be followed by theoretical studies and practical exercises in clinical optometry, as well as working with the own research.
– This start has been like a run-in to a studies. I’ve got a lot of tools for efficient knowledge retrieval and an ability to search knowledge from reliable sources.
Dedicating time for studying
Arto has studied his first half a year of the studies while working full time. However, he intends to remain on study leave and dedicate his time for studying for the rest of his studies.
– I found out about the possibility of study leave and got excited about it. I’ve been working on for so long that the idea of being able to use time for studying during the day feels like a huge advantage.
According to Arto, working besides studying has required a lot of scheduling and he has spent time for studying in the mornings. He has also completed a Bachelor’s degree in optometry in United States while working full time.
– I strongly recommend considering the possibility of study leave. It is a great advantage to be able to keep your job and receive an adult study grant at the same time.
Abilities for versatile work tasks
According to Arto, a degree in Clinical Optometry provides you an ability to perform a high-level health examination of the eyes.
– The age structure of the population is changing so the division of labor needs to be rethought. The education provides good tools to be able to make an assessment of the eye care better.
Arto also believes that the education will expand opticians work field to a different places from traditional optician stores.
– This is a groundbreaking education in the whole industry, and I believe this will bring diverse opportunities in the future.
Photo: Mikko-Pekka Karlin
Dreaming of clinical work and teaching
In the future, besides working with clinical optometry, Arto is interested about teaching.
– I’ve been teaching a lot while working as an optician and it would be interesting to do that more at some point in the future.
Arto recommends the Clinical Optometry studies for everyone who is genuinely interested about optometry and dreams about a diverse career.
– The studies requires persistence and motivation, but will certainly open the doors to a diverse career in the future. Also you shouldn’t consider the English language of the studies as an obstacle, you can study this with normal English skills. This is an education that will make the future, Arto says.