Study Guide

Exchange Opportunities »

Living in Oulu

You can acquaint yourself with your future study city by means of the information provided below. Welcome to Oulu!

  • Accommodation

    Housing via PSOAS

    Housing for incoming exchange students in Oamk is provided by the Northern Finland Student Housing Foundation PSOAS in the Routa dormitory. The dormitory is located close to Oamk's Linnanmaa campus. From the dormitory it is possible to commute to Oamk's other campuses in Oulu (Kontinkangas and Rantakatu campus) by bicycle or bus (30 min). You can apply for a shared or studio apartment directly to PSOAS.

    When filling in the application form to PSOAS, please remember to select "Foreign student" and then "Exchange Student in Oulu UAS" as your place of study in order to be included in Oamk's quota. When applying to PSOAS and following up with PSOAS, use a general email address (gmail or hotmail etc.) to make sure that you receive messages from PSOAS. Check also your spam folder!

    To the application form >>

    Please note that the availability of accommodation is limited. You should submit the application to PSOAS in as good time as possible, by the following deadlines at the latest:
    • for autumn term / academic year: 30 April
    • for spring term: 15 October

    Remember to take part in the homerun for apartments by PSOAS:

    For tenancies in autumn 2021 from 8 June (10 am) until 9 June (10 am) Finnish time:

    Accommodation cannot be guaranteed on short notice or for late applicants! Applications to PSOAS are processed in the order they are received, and apartment offers sent out after admission to Oamk - nowadays PSOAS arranges the aforementioned homerun for apartments following up your application.

    The rent is always charged in full calendar months. If you are coming to Oamk for the autumn term or the academic year, the rental agreement can only be made for one of the following time periods:

    • 1.8. - 31.12.
    • 1.8. - 31.5.

    If you are coming to Oamk for the spring term, the rental agreement can only be made for the following time period, apart from exceptions mentioned below:

    • 1.1. (moving in 3.1.) - 31.5.

    Monthly rents as of autumn 2020, see more details at PSOAS' website:

    • 268.80 - 430.08 EUR/month in a shared apartment
    • 348.97 - 546.13 EUR/month in a studio apartment

    In addition, PSOAS charges also 10 EUR/month for the electricity.

    The rent rates mentioned apply to Oamk's incoming exchange students. The rent includes guaranteed housing in a furnished apartment within Oamk's quota, bedclothes and washing service etc. Find out more about the Routa dormitory's facilities, apartments, equipment and neighbourhood.

    Once you have applied to PSOAS, their Housing Office will offer you accommodation by email and shortly after admission to Oamk. Nowadays PSOAS arranges the homerun event before emailing apartment offers. Make sure to take part in the homerun event! Then keep checking your email for the offer from PSOAS. Please confirm your accommodation by paying the deposit and service fees to PSOAS' bank account as soon as possible. For offers by PSOAS, you'll have usually one (1) or two (2) weeks to confirm your accommodation. If you need to extend the deposit payment schedule, please contact personally PSOAS' Housing Office ( (korvaa # -> @)).

    As soon as PSOAS' Housing Office has received your deposit and service fee payment, you will receive a confirmation message to your email with further instructions and information on electronically signing the rental agreement.

    In case of cancellations due to Covid-19 ­before the beginning of the tenancy period, PSOAS will normally only require a processing fee (50 EUR).

    In case of cancellations due to Covid-19 after the beginning of the tenancy period, and if you have confirmed the tenancy, then PSOAS will charge for the entire tenancy period – for this case, please check the conditions of your travel insurance (

    If you come to Oamk for regular terms and during arrival services' days and times, you will get your key then from our tutor welcome committee, and you can sign your rental agreement electronically beforehand. If you arrive at exceptional days and times, you must visit PSOAS' Housing Office to get your key and sign the rental agreement electronically. When arriving, pleae also download PSOAS' info sheet for the Routa dormitory.

    In August you may move in earlier than on the official moving in date(s), but please notice that arrival services provided by peer tutors are available only during the official arrival dates and times. If mutually agreed, your peer tutor or any other person you trust may help you with arrival arrangements also at other times. If a peer tutor or someone else wishes to obtain your key to PSOAS' dormitory, you must email PSOAS' Housing Office and authorise the person in charge beforehand.

    Exceptions for tenancy agreements:

    1) Trainees pursuing their traineeship full-time during/outside of Oamk's official term dates, usually Erasmus+ trainees who will be enrolled to Oamk, but are staying at and are supervised by third parties yet also mentored by Oamk's staff.

    2) Health and social care students only (!) from partner universities with short-term (3-month) Erasmus+ inter-institutional or bilateral agreements (excepts students in optometry, physiotherapy, occupational therapy and social services).
    Mobility period 3 = 4.1. - 8.4., Tenancy period 1.1. (arrival and moving in 4.1.) - 30.4.2022
    Mobility period 4 = 25.2. - 27.5. Tenancy period (arrival and moving in 24.2.) 1.3. - 31.5.2022

    3) In some cases and only (!) if the room quota at PSOAS' dormitory has been reached, e.g. for August, PSOAS may offer alternative rental agreements and tenancy periods, e.g. 1.9. - 31.12., or 1.9. - 31.5.

    Other Housing Options

    When looking for long-term accommodation (furnished or unfurnished), please thoroughly check the advertisements on the private housing market, considering also general living costs for students. We suggest not to make any long-term rental agreement on the private housing market without having seen the property and checked the rental agreement beforehand at the location. We recommend to first travel to Finland to stay for a short-term stay at a hotel / hostel / airbnb apartment, and then look for long-term accommodation (perhaps also together with other exchange students) in Oulu.

    Long-term housing

    Portals for private individuals offering housing rentals:

    Short-term housing:

  • Communication

    Postal services

    To make sure that incoming mail is properly delivered to you, we recommend to fill in a paper form "Notification of Change of Address" at the closest postal service point (or rather postal outlet offering all services) as soon as possible after your arrival. Here is an example of how the form looks like - the form itself is only available on paper and at the postal outlet - take your national ID card/passport and Oamk's enrolment certificate when going there.

    Postal outlet nearby PSOAS' Routa dormitory:

    K-Supermarket Kaijonharju
    Sammonkatu 16, 90570 Oulu
    Open Mon-Fri 7-23, Sat 8-23, Sun 10-23

    Postal outlet in the Oulu City Centre, Raksila area:

    K-Citymarket Raksila
    Tehtaankatu 5, 90130 Oulu
    Open Mon-Sat 8-22, Sun 10-21

    Go in person to visit the postal outlet and ask for the correct form to be filled in for this purpose. This will ensure that mail is delivered correctly to your post locker on the ground floor of the dormitory.

    Incoming letters and small items will be usually delivered directly to your post locker at your place of accommodation. Your room or a separate key opens this locker. If you receive an item that does not fit into the post locker the delivery service staff will drop in a notice of arrival against which you can collect the shipment from a specific postal service point.

    For outgoing mail the nearest (orange) letter box at PSOAS' Routa dormitory is on Tutkijantie 1, and in Välkkylä in front of the dormitory. There's a letter box available also in front of the Prisma in Linnanmaa and the Citymarket in Raksila. Stamps are readily available in most kiosks and supermarkets.

    If you receive a letter that is addressed to another person (possible previous tenant), cross out the addressee and write on the envelope, "undeliverable, addressee not known at this address / lähetys ei voitu toimittaa, vaastaanottaja ei tavoitettavissa tässä osoitteessa", and return it to the closest postal service point or postbox.


    Traditional landline phones hardly exist anymore, so it is necessary to have a mobile phone in order to make phone calls. Many shops sell new and used mobile phones in the city centre. Department stores and markets sell them as well, so you can easily buy a mobile phone if you do not have one yet. Mobile phones cost from 50 euros up to 900 euros, depending on the model.

    After you have a mobile phone, you have to get a SIM card for it in order to make phone calls or send text messages. The easiest way is to buy a prepaid card. A prepaid card contains a certain amount of talk time and/or text messages, and you pay it before you use it. Phone operators such as DNA, Elisa and Telia offer prepaid cards. There are many shops and kiosks offering prepaid cards, so it might be useful to compare the prices in order to purchase the most affordable one. Students usually purchase their prepaid SIM cards from R-kioski.


    Internet connection in your place of accommodation is being provided in student housing facilities offered by PSOAS. If you are staying at a different apartment, you may need to take care of making a contract with an internet provider such as DNA, Elisa and Telia.

    On our Oamk campuses, you can use internet for free via WiFi networks:

    1. KK (=Oamk’s own network, login with your user credentials),
    2. Eduroam and
    3. panOULU.

    Always use KK when possible. That is the easiest option: You don’t need a VPN connection when you are already inside the Oamk’s own network. See more at

    Email & Social Media

    Feel free to use your own private email service. For your studies, we recommend to use your Oamk student email. More information at

    Netiquette and Oamk's ethical guidelines apply for using social media.

  • Financial Matters

    Financing your exchange

    Please make sure to gain sufficient funds for your exchange and save up money for living expenses, insurance and additional trips and events before coming to Oamk.

    Contact your home university about possible grants such as for Erasmus+ etc. You may check for additional scholarships from foundations or associations in your home country.

    In addition, consult your family etc. when planning the budget for your exchange at Oamk. Bank loans can be an option, if need be - please check for these in your home country.

    It is possible also to look for a job here in Oulu besides your studies, but there are limited possibilities due to Finnish language requirement. Please consult our section "Working in Finland" for more information.

    Opening a bank account

    If need be, you may open a bank account in Finland, if you have a Finnish personal identity code. Opening a bank account is free of charge. Please note that for ensuring services in English, in most cases, you must book a time with the customer service beforehand.

    At least the following banks serve international customers:

    In order to open a bank account, you need to have your passport and a study certificate with you when going to the bank for the first time. In addition, make sure that you reserve enough time when going to the bank.

    When you open a bank account, you will get a debit card, which you can use for withdrawing money from ATMs (pankkiautomaatti/Otto). Feel free to search for the closest Otto ATM in Oulu.

    To receive an internet banking account, you must have a regular income and a Finnish personal identity code. It is easy to pay bills and follow your bank balance with an internet banking account. If you are not eligible for online banking, you need to pay your bills by other means, see "Pay your bills".

    Money transfer

    Sending/receiving money is best to arrange via your internet bank account in your home country.

    Below please find also money transfer services in Finland / Oulu which are, however, subject of a fee:

    Paying bills

    We recommend to use your internet banking in your home country for paying invoiced bills here in Finland. In shops etc. you may use either cash or your credit/debit card for your purchases.

    If you need to make payments and cannot use your internet banking via your home country, feel free to use the R-kioski (via Collector Bank AB) direct bank transfer services by which you can pay to a Finnish bank account. This is subject to a service fee and may require a Finnish personal identity code. See the information at (in Finnish only).


    If you are working in Finland and are receiving a salary, then your income may be subject to taxation. If this were, the case, read up more in our section on taxation in "Working in Finland"

  • Finnish Language and Culture

    Finnish language

    The Finnish language is a member of the Finno-Ugric language family. It is spoken by the majority of the population. The other official language is Swedish. Phonetically Finnish is very simple, consisting of 8 vowels and 13 consonants. However, it has a very rich word flexion. There are also a number of different dialects, which can be a bit harder to understand compared with the so-called normal spoken language.

    Learning Finnish is extremely important in order to integrate successfully into the Finnish culture. Survival Finnish skills (everyday phrases) are a must right away when entering the country. Without Finnish language skills it is very difficult to find a job in Finland, as there are only a few companies in which the official language is English.

    Finnish culture

    Finland promotes equality in all forms. According to the constitutional law in Finland, people are equal regardless of age, race, ethnicity, gender, religious views, political views and sexual orientation. In Finland, people are expected to be treated with respect. This applies to the university environment as well.

    Finns are punctual and mostly on time. When making an appointment, you should be on time, and rather five minutes early than five minutes late. Students are expected to join the lectures on time. When a lecture starts at 9 am, it starts at 9 am sharp, and you are expected to be in the classroom before that.

    Finns tend to follow rules and laws. One good example are the traffic lights. When the red light is on, Finns wait until it changes to green even if there is no one even near the crossroads. Another good example are the rules and laws set by the government. People follow them very carefully without challenging the authority, and for instance pay taxes dutifully.

    Finns make fun of themselves and each other in an ironic way. Finns tend to self-depreciate at times, but it does not need to be taken too seriously.

    Nature is important in the Finnish culture, and the outdoors are kept clean. People respect nature, and littering is not acceptable. However, anyone can pick berries and mushrooms from forests and swim in lakes and rivers freely.

    Weather and climate

    In Finland we enjoy four distinct seasons: summer, autumn, winter and spring. Summers are warm and bright, winters cold and dark. The temperature during the summer can rise up to +35 degrees Celsius, and during the winter it can drop down to -35 degrees Celsius.

    The summer lasts for three months (June, July and August), and usually July or August is the warmest month. The autumn starts in late August and lasts until late October when the winter season begins. Snow usually falls at the end of October or the beginning of November. The coldest months are usually January and February. The spring starts in March when the snow starts to melt.

    In midsummer, the sun does not set, and in mid-winter the sun does barely rise or not at all. The weather changes constantly during the four seasons. There are no rainy seasons in Finland. It rains throughout the year, and the rain can start very suddenly. However, it usually rains more in the autumn than during other seasons. Cold and dark winters can be a bit depressing, and in midsummer it can be a little difficult to sleep because of the brightness.

    As Oulu is located on the northwest coast near the sea, it is often quite windy. Strong winds increase the effect of cold. When it is -5 degrees Celsius and the wind blows 10 metres per second, it feels like -22 degrees Celsius. -20 degrees Celsius is very cold. It is impossible to survive without proper winter clothing in such a cold weather.

  • Health Care

    Emergency services

    Cal 112, in case of emergency and immediate urgent request for

    • medical care
    • police
    • fire rescue

    For more information, please consult the FAQ on the website of the Emergency Response Centre Agency in Finland.


    In the evenings and weekends, you can turn to the Emergency Unit for the Oulu Region (Oulun seudun yhteispäivystys) at the Oulu University Hospital (Kajaanintie 50, Entrance A1).

    Please always call first +358 116117 (24 h)

    We recommend to go to the emergency unit with a fellow student for possible assistance, if applicable.


    In the evenings and weekends, you can turn to the emergency unit of Oulaskangas hospital.

    Please always call first +358 116117 (24 h)

    We recommend to go to the emergency unit with a fellow student for possible assistance, if applicable.


    You can also notify our staff working with incoming students about an emergency situation that has occurred.
    Call +358 20 61 10299 (24 h)

    Health care services

    In Oulu

    In case of acute illness, exchange students of Oamk residing in Oulu and whose stay lasts at least two (2) months and who are studying full-time are entitled to use the public health care services provided by the City of Oulu.

    During weekdays, public health care services are offered in the health care centres. N.B.! Acute receptions as of 24 March 2020 due to Covid-19 (updated 16 October):

    • If you have an acute illness with symptoms concerning the respiratory system (e.g. those associated with flu, influenza or coronavirus infection), you should check first the coronavirus guidelines of the City of Oulu and call the number(s) mentioned at the city's website for advice. Call +358 8 558 41414 (Mon–Thu 8-16, Fri 8–15), at other times +358 116117 (24 h). Phone also if you need a Covid-19 test, as the city's reservation system requires a Finnish bank account etc. for identification. In Oulu, the following health care centres currently serve as acute reception in the aforementioned cases and during normal work day-time hours. On the weekend, you will be referrred to the Oulu University Hospital. You can also check the online services for symptom assessment:
    • If you have another acute illness and other symptoms (e.g. wounds, minor injuries etc.) than those associated with the respiratory system, you should enquire with and visit another (!) health care centre in Oulu. If you are residing in Linnanmaa, please turn to the Tuira Health Care Centre during work day-time hours. On the weekend, you will be referrred to the Oulu University Hospital:
      • Tuira Health Care Centre, Kangastie 16, +358 8 558 44477. The centre in Tuira serves during day-time hours (Mon–Thu 8-16, Fri 8–15) normally without calling in advance or having an appointment. We recommmend to call beforehand! Otherwise, take a waiting number from the hall or info desk, and you will be called to the nurse. A doctor will join the reception if necessary.
      • Emergency Unit for the Oulu Region (Oulun seudun yhteispäivystys): Oulu University Hospital (Kajaanintie 50, Entrance A1) For conditions requiring urgent care, please always call first +358 116117 (24 h)! We recommend to go to the emergency unit with a fellow student for possible assistance, if applicable.


    • EU citizens: a health care centre fee of 20.90 EUR will be charged for the three first visits to a doctor within a calendar year. Appointments with nurses are free of charge.
    • Non-EU citizens: a health care centre fee of 203 EUR will be charged for each visit to a doctor, and to a nurse 62.32 EUR, within a calendar year. N.B.! For Non-EU citizens visits to a doctor or nurse are generally more affordable in the private health centres, see links below.

    Always check current fees when making appointments or walking in during service hours. A penalty fee of 51,40 EUR will be charged if you do not use, nor cancel a reserved appointment.

    In the evenings and on weekends, you can use the services of the emergency unit (in Finnish 'yhteispäivystys') of the Oulu University Hospital, address Kajaanintie 50, entrance A1, tel. +358 116117 (24 h).

    During on-call hours an emergency fee of EUR 41.70 per visit will be charged. You can go to the emergency unit without an appointment. If the illness requires a consultation with a house officer or resident doctor, an outpatient fee of 20.90 EUR (during 8-20) and 41.70 EUR (during 20-8) will be charged. Fees may be different for EU and Non-EU citizens - check the current fees with the emergency unit reception. Traveller's insurances usually cover costs incurred at public health care facilities (except penalty fees).

    See further information on public health care on the website of the City of Oulu.

    There is also a number of private health care providers in Oulu serving during weekdays and at different times in the evening and partly on weekends. Please check the opening hours and conditions for services offered directly with the private health care provider, see links below. The customer/patient is liable for all the costs. If you have a traveller's insurance, the insurance usually covers the expenses of the use of private medical services. Please check the terms of your insurance!

    In Oulainen

    During weekdays and in cases of acute illness, you can contact the acute reception of Oulainen health care centre, Tel. +358 8 479 3401 (Mon - Fri 8:00 - 16:00).

    In the evenings and weekends you can turn to the emergency unit of Oulaskangas hospital. Before going to the emergency unit you should call first +358 116117 (24 h). The need of treatment can then be assessed.

    A health care centre fee is charged, for EU citizens 20.90 EUR, and for Non-EU citizens doctor 187.27 EUR, visit to a nurse 62.32 EUR. Fees will be charged for three three first visits to a doctor within a calendar year.

    In the emergency unit of Oulaskangas hospital the fees are the following: weekdays 16.00 - 20:00 20.90 EUR, at other times 41.70 EUR per visit.

    There is also a private medical clinic in Oulainen. In the private sector the customer/patient is liable for all the costs. If you have traveller's insurance, the insurance usually covers the expenses. Please check the terms of your insurance!

    Private medical clinic in Oulainen: Lääkärikeskus Syke


    When you obtain health care from public or private health care providers, you must bring:

      1. Your passport / ID card
      2. Your Enrolment / Study Certificate from Oamk or your student card from OSAKO
      3. Your Insurance Certificate or Card (if you have private insurance)
      4. Your European Health and Insurance Card (EU / EEA / Swiss citizens). Make sure the staff of the health care provider makes a copy of your card, otherwise you will receive a bill for your treatments.
      5. Your Finnish Personal Identity Code
      6. Some money (cash/credit or debit card) to pay for the fees applying.

    Mental health

    In case of mental health problems in Finland, feel free to use the services of The Finnish Association for Mental Health. Its SOS Crisis Centre is located in Helsinki and assists all foreigners in Finland. The service is free of charge:

      • Helpline in English and Arabic:
        +358 9 2525 0113 on Mon, Tue at 11-15,
        Wed at 13-16 and 17-21, Thu at 10-15.
      • Helpline in English and Swedish:
        +358 9 2525 0112 on Mon, Wed at 16-20, Tue, Thu and Fri at 9-13
      • Crisis Centre (Helsinki), for appointments,
        +358 9 4135 0510 on Mon-Thu 9-12 and 13-15, Fri 9-12

    For help with non-acute mental health problems in Oulu and Oulainen, please get in touch with a general practician during day-time hours (Mon-Thu 8–16, Fri 8–15). The health centres and health care staff may assess your situation by phone, and also provide further advice:

    • The City of Oulu serves at this number for advice on mental health during day-time hours, +358 44 703 5940. Call this number first. When contacting, mention that you are an exchange student at Oamk.
    • Tuira Health Care Centre, Kangastie 16,
      Please call beforehand, +358 8 558 44477.
    • Kontinkangas Health Care Centre, Kajaanintie 46 A, floor 0.
      Please call beforehand, +358 558 44333.
    • The City of Oulainen serves at the Tuuma Mental Health Care Unit, +358 444793470, Mon-Fri, 8.15-9.30 and 13-14

    For help with acute mental health problems in Oulu or Oulainen, you can turn to:

    • During day-time hours:
      • Oulu Psychiatric Clinic, Peltolantie 13, Ward 78, 90230 Oulu. Appointments and information at +358 8 315 6707. Serves during day-time, Mon-Fri 8–15. The clinic is associated with the Oulu University Hospital.
      • The Oulu Crisis Centre can assist and support exchange students in acute crisis situations. You can contact the centre at tel. +358 44 3690 500 on Mon-Fri 9–14, Kirkkokatu 19 A 10 (3rd floor). The services of the Crisis Centre are free of charge.
      • The City of Oulainen serves at the Tuuma Mental Health Care Unit, +358 444793470, Mon-Fri, 8.15-9.30 and 13-14
    • Outside of day-time hours:
      • Joint Emergency Duty Service of the Oulu Region, Oulu University Hospital, Kajaanintie 50, Entrance A1, or Emergency Department in Oulainen. Serves outside day-time hours (24 h), call +358 116 117. If needed, the doctor on duty can refer you to psychiatric treatment closest to your location.

    If wished so, you may also always consult student workers of the Finnish Evangelical Lutheran Church. You can meet them on campus during certain weekdays and times for a chat over a cup of coffee/tea (check Oiva announcements) or contact them separately, depending also on Covid-19 guidelines.

    You can also always contact the the international coordinators at Oamk for further information and advice.

    We also would encourage you to use the following material and resources. It is good to address problems, prevent and solve these - better sooner than later.

    Useful material by The Finnish Association for Mental Health:

    There is also great stuff by Nyyti Association for Student Mental Health:

    Resources provided by the study psychologist:

    Dental health

    Foreign students are entitled to public dental care only in acute cases. Treatment in public dental clinics will be charged according to the health care centre tariffs.

    In Oulu public dental care is available by an appointment at the regional dental clinics. If you are living in Välkkylä hall of residence, you should contact the Dentopolis clinic, Aapistie 3, Tel. +358 8 5584 6420. For further information see the website of the City of Oulu:

    There are also many private dental clinics in Oulu:

    In Oulainen you can contact the public on-call-duty dentist Mon-Fri 8-16, Tel. +358 44 4793 454 for further advice. Address of the clinic: Reservikomppaniankatu 7-9, Oulainen.

    The on-duty dentist on weekends and public holidays is in Oulu (Aapistie 3, 90220 Oulu): tel. +358 44 703 6426. Patients calling between 10:00 - 15:00 will be given acute care on the same day (only urgent care).

    There are also a private dental clinic in Oulainen:
    Oulaisten Syke,, Keskuskatu 7, 86300 Oulainen, appointments tel. +358 8 474 333, Mon-Fri 9 - 16.30.


    Medicines are sold at pharmacies (Apteekki in Finnish), which are usually open Mon-Fri 9-18 and Sat 9-14. Please notice that in Finland chemists and drugstores sell only cosmetics.

    In Oulu, Rotuaarin Apteekki in the pedestrian precinct Rotuaari is open Mon - Fri 8.30-20, Sat 10-18 and Sun 11-18. Yliopiston Apteekki at Isokatu 27 is open daily 8-23.

    In Oulainen, Oulaisten Apteekki, Rautatienkatu 5, is open Mon-Fri 9-20, Sat 9-15 and Sun 11-13.

    Vaccination requirements

    General requirements

    There are usually no vaccination requirements for Finland, but it is good to check possible recommendations for your own health. The City of Oulu recommends the following vaccinations for all exchange students:

      • Polio Vaccine
      • MMR (mumps, measles, rubella) Vaccine
      • DT (diphtheria and tetanus) Vaccine
      • Influenza
      • Covid-19. N.B.! Please check the City of Oulu's website for detailed information on Covid-19 vaccinations. In Finland, municipalities are responsible to arrange vaccinations for permanent residents. Based on our enquiry in April 2021, exchange students (non-permanent residents staying longer than 3 months) should be able to also get a suitable vaccination or follow-up vaccination for free depending on the schedule and order of priority for different vaccination groups. Check beforehand whether you are eligible for vaccination, and call the number mentioned on the website during the given service hours. Kindly note that it is not possible to book an appointment online for exchange students, but you should enquire about and book a vaccination appointment by phone. In your enquiry, also mention a possible previous Covid-19 vaccination and provide other relevant information to the health care service staff of the City of Oulu.

    Special requirements for health and social care students pursuing practical training

    If you are coming to study in health and social care (apart from optometry) including practical training, you must provide this health certificate duly signed along with your application or shortly after your admission to (korvaa # -> @). The certificate lists the required vaccinations, tests and TB documentation, if you wish to pursue practical training in health and social care at Oamk and/or in the Oulu region. N.B.! Information on possible requirements for a Covid-19 vaccination will be checked and updated at a later stage.

    Special requirements for students meeting any of the following tuberculosis (TB) risk criteria

    If you meet any of the following risk criteria about tuberculosis (TB), then you must provide this health certificate duly signed along with your application or shortly after your admission to (korvaa # -> @):

      • if you were born in a country where the risk of TB is "very high"
      • if you have lived at least 12 months in a country where the risk of TB is "very high"
      • if you have worked at least 3 months in health care in a country where the risk of TB is "very high"
      • if you have treated any infectious TB patient without a respirator
      • if you have been in close contact with a TB patient in any country

    Please consult the list of "very high" risk ('erittäin korkea riski' in Finnish) or very high TB occurrence countries from The Finnish National Institute for Health and Welfare (in Finnish ). The Norwegian Insitute for Public Health provides equivalent information (in English).

    All information or documentation you provide with one of the aforementioned health certificates or by other means will be kept strictly confidential.

    Sources and further information:

    Coronavirus information

    Please check and follow Oamk's guidelines in detail at the following website:

    If you are staying in Oulu and are concerned about your health regarding Covid-19, please refer to the section above, "Health care services", and follow the guidelines of the health care providers in Oulu.

    Fit to Travel Certificate & Test for Covid-19

    Last updated: 26 April at 16:30

    In Finland, testing for Covid-19 without having symptoms is not common and available free of charge only when arriving, and in the public health care or at airports, harbours etc.

    "Fit to travel" certificates are currently available in Finland only in the private health care, and at your own cost. You may possibly need a "fit to travel" certificate only when departing from Oulu or Finland, see more below.

    A certificate giving proof that you have obtained a suitable Covid-19 vaccination or recovered from Covid-19 may also suffice depending on the situation and regulations in place at the time of your travel or stay in Oulu. Please check the information in Finland as well as in your home country or the countries you may travel to, and the airlines or other transportation operators you will be using for travelling.

    We have prepared the following guidelines for exchange students arriving in Oulu and departing from Oulu – updates are possible. Feel free to also consult further links (THL, IATA, Re-open EU):

    Students arriving in Oulu

    All exchange students arriving in Oulu are currently required to enter a 10-day quarantine after arrival, regardless of a negative test result, earlier vaccination or recovery from Covid-19. The quarantine cannot be shortened with a second test after your arrival.

    Before your journey to Finland, contact your airline about possible requirements for obtaining a negative Covid-19 test and “fit to travel” certificate (or certificates of vaccination or recovery) before your departure from your home country. Make sure that you also have sufficient insurance coverage.

    Please use the FINENTRY service when planning your trip to Finland. It provides up-to-date information and directs you to take the necessary steps before your journey, and after your arrival in Finland.

    At the Helsinki Airport, there are test opportunities free of charge for travellers upon entry, and possible health examinations. If you use another means of transportation, kindly check further links on our university’s arrival website.

    In Oulu you can take a second test 72 hours after your arrival free of charge in public health care such as a local health care centre. For information on the testing, please check the City of Oulu’s Covid-19 website and call the number indicated. As Oamk requires a 10-day quarantine, which cannot be shortened, a second test is basically not required.

    In private health care, a Covid-19 test is always subject to a fee, and a “fit to travel” certificate is available only at your own cost.

    After your arrival, keep following the guidelines for your own and each other’s safety, and consult our university’s arrival website for possible updates.

    In case of questions, contact (korvaa # -> @).

    Students departing from Oulu

    When planning your departure and before leaving Oulu, please check the entry requirements of your home country and countries that you are travelling through or planning to visit on your way home. Some countries require a negative Covid-19 test (or alternatively and only where possible, a certificate giving proof of a suitable Covid-19 vaccination or recovery from Covid-19) upon entry. Also, other restrictions may be in place depending on the epidemic situation and country-specific regulations.

    At the moment, testing for Covid-19 for the purpose of obtaining a “fit to travel” certificate is available only in the Finnish private health care sector and at your own cost, see more below. If you have a private insurance, recommended by Oamk, check also for the possibility of reimbursing your costs with your insurance company.

    Private health care arranges testing usually with a doctor’s referral and normally if you have symptoms. Currently a Covid-19 test can be taken (without symptoms and for the purpose of proving travel fitness) at Terveystalo and Mehiläinen.

    Enquire with the local private health care provider about the possibilities and fees applying. Make sure that you can get a certificate proving your fitness for travel in English, if available.

    The Covid-19 test in private health care costs 208 - 250 EUR, and it takes 2-3 days to get the result. Certificate charges may apply as well, 40-120 EUR. The information given below is subject to change and solely dependent on third parties:

    In case of questions, contact (korvaa # -> @).

  • Insurance

    In order to come to Finland you should have a valid health and accident insurance that covers possible accidents and health problems also during your travel to and from Finland. Higher education institutions do not cover accidents during the students' stay in Finland, and without a valid insurance the medical cost may be high.

    Though citizens of the EU and EEA countries are entitled to the same health care services in Finland as Finnish citizens, if they are covered by health insurance in their own country and in possession of the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), they must also have a separate insurance due to restrictions regarding EHIC .

    All international students coming to Oamk should have at least the following (private) insurance before leaving for Finland, as they are responsible for their own accident, illness and property insurance. Students are required to take insurance issued by a reliable and solvent company or institution covering the costs incurred by an illness or an accident in Finland or on the way to/from Finland.

    A travel insurance usually covers also expenses caused by using the public health care system which are not covered with the European Health Insurance Card. Students’ travel insurance should cover at least expenses arising from an acute travel time illness or accident up to EUR 100 000 (for third country citizens EUR 120 000) and the possible repatriation and evacuation back to home country. Students have to bring a valid insurance policy with them to Finland (preferably in English). Please make sure that the insurance is valid for your entire stay!

    Required insurance coverage (incoming exchange students and trainees):

    • Health care costs incurred for an illness or accident (minimum coverage 100 000 EUR, for third country citizens 120 000 EUR)
    • Personal property/luggage/household effects
    • Repatriation and medical evacuation of the insured (and mortal remains)
    • Civil liability

    We recommend to also check the conditions and coverage of your insurance for travelling purposes (e.g. flexible and refundable tickets) and possible costs regarding vaccination, tests and certificates, and treatment for Covid-19.

    In addition, trainees admitted for a practical training course or a full traineeship at Oamk and/or a third party (company, organisation, hospital, health care centre, school, etc.) should check with the supervising practical training/traineeship provider about possible third party liability insurance coverage (vastuuvakuutus in Finnish) and/or (hospitals etc.) statutory injury treatment insurance coverage (potilasvahinkovakuutus in Finnish). Oamk's liability insurance (vastuuvakuutus) covers trainees for personal injury and material damage caused to outsiders when trainees are mentored/supervised by Oamk (isännänvastuu in Finnish = vicarious liability).

    Finnish insurance companies do not grant insurance to foreigners whose stay in Finland cannot be considered to be permanent. Finnish higher education institutions have jointly negotiated International Students’ Health Insurance (SIP Insurance) that can be purchased by international students intending to study in Finland in one of the cooperating higher education institutions. It covers medical expenses, repatriation and also personal belongings as further explained and defined in the insurance terms.

    Examples of insurance that fulfill the requirements for studies at Oulu University of Applied Sciences for exchange students:

    Students from EU/EEA countries and Switzerland should also bring the European Health Insurance Card proving that they are covered by the health care system of their own country. They will then be entitled to the same health care benefits as Finnish citizens, but in addition to this, a private health/travel insurance will be worthwhile.

  • Living Expenses

    Exchange students are exempt from paying for tuition (there may be exceptions to this general rule especially regarding the visiting / free mover students). Students are responsible for their own travel, accommodation and subsistence costs. Living costs in Oulu and Finland are quite on par with those of the most capital regions in Europe.

    As a general rule Oamk cannot, unfortunately, support exchange students financially. Usually the grants are paid by students' home institutions and therefore you should consult the international office of your own university for details on financial support for studies abroad.

    Monthly costs for international students are estimated to be: 

    Accommodation: 350 - 500 EUR
    Lunch at student canteens (subsidised): min. approx. 2 - 4 EUR
    Self catering: 85 - 200 EUR
    Other expenses: 85 - 200 EUR

    This estimate does not include social activities, travel or clothing. It has been estimated that an average Finnish student spends 700 - 1000 euro a month.

    Students who are members of the student union and have paid the membership fee are entitled to various discounts for transportation costs and student meals.

    For non EU/EEA/Swiss citizens for residence permit for studies the Finnish Immigration Service requires a proof of adequate funds to cover the costs during student's stay in Finland. This income requirement is for a student min. 560 EUR/month. This can be considered as the absolute minimum sum of money with which one can support him/herself in Finland.

  • Shopping

    Finland is a relatively expensive country regarding food, clothes and other utensils. Below you will find information on different kind of stores and shops: what kind of goods they sell and what the price level is in general. Note! During public holidays, many shops are either closed or working on a different schedule. You can take a look at the shop’s website in order to check whether or not it is open.

    Food products (names and prices)

    Milk (maito), 1 litre = 1 euro

    Bread (leipä) = 1 – 4 euros

    Potatoes (peruna), 1 kilogram = 70 cents

    Butter (voi), 500 grams = 1.50 – 3 euros

    Cheese (juusto), 500 grams = 5 euros

    Eggs (muna), 12 eggs = 1 euros

    Bananas (banaani), 1 kilogram = 1 – 2.50 euros

    Tomatoes (tomaatti), 1 kilogram = 80 cents – 4 euros

    Cucumber (kurkku) (1 piece) = 80 cents – 2.50 euros

    Wheat flour (vehnäjauho), 1 kilogram = 80 cents – 1.50 euros

    Juice (mehu), 1 litre = 70 cents – 2.50 euros

    Minced meat (jauheliha), 400 grams = 2 – 4.50 euros

    Fish (kala), 500 grams = 7 - 10 euros

    Coffee (kahvi), 500 grams = 4 - 7 euros

    Tea (tee) = 3 - 4 euros

    On average, a student spends about 150 - 200 EUR per month on food.

    Grocery and general stores

    You will find the following grocery stores in the Linnanmaa district or close to it. Distances from the Routa dormitory:

    • Prisma in Linnanmaa (500 m)
    • K-Supermarket, Tokmanni & Sale in Kaijonharju (2 km)
    • K-Citymarket in Rusko (4 km).

    Please check our information on ordering food or groceries online and delivery to your place of residence. For example, PSOAS Routa dormitory, Tutkijantie 2, 90570 Oulu.

    Consult the information and video tutorials below for detailed instructions. Remember to create first a K-Tunnus account.

    Also, come up with a shared shopping list in English, and then translate it into Finnish. We suggest that one person places the online shopping order for the home delivery.

    If need be, ask your peer tutor(s) to assist remotely via Zoom or Teams when placing your order. Make sure to leave a note in the system before ordering, and be around at the time and place of delivery.

    Supermarket Notes
    (Citymarket Rusko or K-Supermarket in Kaijonharju
    Video recording from hands-on session (autumn 2020)

    Video tutorials in English:

    1. Registering your email and account
    This can be done also in English at (Switch to English in the upper left corner of the website, and then click "Log in" in the upper right corner, and choose "Create K-Tunnus")
    2. Adding products to your shopping bag and choosing the way and time of delivery (12,90 EUR)
    3. Paying with credit card upon delivery
    Prisma Linnanmaa: Delivery not possible without a Finnish phone number
    Help from people *not* in quarantine / tutor etc. 1. Write up a list in whatsapp or a shared document for e.g. Linnanmaa Prisma
    2. Agree on payment and delivery following safety guidelines
    Food delivery (meals)
    Portal/App Notes
    Foodora Order prepared food online. Payment with credit card.
    Wolt Order prepared food online. Payment with credit card.

    Order ingredients and recipe, cook by yourself.
    close to Linnanmaa
    Baabel Free delivery over 20 euros
    Xiao Long Order 4 get free delivery
    Amigo Order 3 get free delivery

    Raksila markets (Sale, Prisma, and Citymarket) are located in Raksila district. These markets are usually open on weekdays from 8 am to 9 pm, on Saturdays from 8 am to 9 pm, and on Sundays from 11 am to 7 pm. Sale is open 24/7. These markets sell groceries, kitchen utilities, clothes, and so on. There is also a pharmacy, a second-hand shop and Alko in the same building as Sale. Prices in these markets are average level.

    Lidl is an internationally operating German grocery shop chain. It is known as an affordable shop selling groceries and some other daily goods like kitchen utensils. Lidl stores are open on weekdays from 8 am to 9 pm, on Saturdays from 8 am to 9 pm, and on Sundays from 11 pm to 7 pm. There are four Lidl in Oulu, and you can find them in the following districts:

    Lidl city centre, Isokatu 51, Lidl Tuira, Tuirantie 14, Lidl Hiironen, Ruukinkuja 1, Lidl Haapalehto, Karttatie 2, Lidl Karjasilta, Paljetie 12.

    Our department of natural resources also arranges a local food market called "Likis!" every once in a while. See more at

    The general stores listed below sell all sorts of goods (clothes, kitchen utensils, sport equipment, tools, and so on), except groceries, for a relatively affordable price.

    • Halpa-Halli, Nuottasaarentie 5
    • Kärkkäinen, Alasintie 12
    • Tokmanni (sells also groceries), Sammonkatu 5 and Jukolankuja 1–3 and Kansipojantie 1


    Most of the grocery and general stores sell clothes as well, but if you want to buy fashion, you should head to the city centre. Most fashion and design shops are located in the heart of the city. You will easily find all the shops selling fashion and brands if you head to Rotuaari Pedestrian Street and Valkea Mall.

    Our students also maintain a shop termed "Kurestore" downtown Oulu - you will find there many Finnish and local brands.

    Second-hand stores

    Second-hand stores sell all kinds of second-hand goods, clothes, furniture, kitchen utensils and so on at reasonable prices. There are many second-hand shops in Oulu. By buying second-hand goods, you can save nature and money.

    • Second Hand Store, Isokatu 8
    • Paljekirppis, Paljetie 12
    • Keskuskirppis, Kaarnatie 22
    • Järkikirppis, Tehtaankatu 1
    • Kirpputiikki, Uusikatu 13
    • Oulun Kontti, Tyrnäväntie 14
    • Salvation Army flea market (Pelastusarmeijan kirpputori), Limingantie 5 and Ratakatu 6 and
    • Ratamotie 22
    • Recycling centre (Oulun Kierrätyskeskus), Kurkelantie 2

    For more information

    A list of all second-hand shops and their locations: > Valitse kaupunki (select town) > Oulu

    Stores selling second-hand laptops and computers

    The following shops sell second-hand laptops and computers and some other computer devices at relatively cheap prices.

    • SystemaStore, Rautatienkatu 81
    • Taitonetti, Rautatienkatu 16
    • Oulun Mediatalkkari, Tunturikoivuntie 7
    • Oulun DataPalvelut, Myllytie 2

    Ethnic stores

    More and more ehtnic stores pop up in Oulu

    • T.T. Asian Market: Asian groceries
    • Maustekauppa Amira: spices and small nibbles
    • Aasia Ruoka, Hallituskatu 28
    • Naza Market, Merikoskenkatu 5
    • Asia Market, oposite to railway station

    Sports stores

    You will find sports equipment in general or special sports stores:

    • Intersport Oulu Joutsensilta, Paljekuja 5
    • Top-Sport, Ritaharjuntie 49
    • Budget Sport, Kempeleentie 4
    • XXL, Alasintie 8
    • Stadium Oulu City, Kauppurienkatu 9


    The easiest way to move around and commute in Oulu is by bike.

    • City of Oulu Bicycles (rentals on a 1/2 hour basis)
    • PSOAS Bicycles (for free use, Routa dormitory)
    • Cykkeli Bicycles in Toppila Center (second-hand bicycles and maintenance social enterprise)
    • Pyörä-Suvala: new and second-hand bikes, Lekatie 2
    • Jussin Pyöräpiste: new and second-hand bikes, Valtatie 49
    • Oulun Special Bike: new and second-hand bikes, Saaristonkatu 31
    • Suomen Polkupyörätukku Oy: new and second-hand bikes, Taka-Lyötyn aukio 4
    • Oulun Urheiluvälinen divari: second-hand bikes, Valtatie 57
    • Urheilu-Ulappa: new and second-hand bikes, Ratamotie 56

    Importing or receiving goods

    If you import or receive goods from outside of Finland, remember to check the customs rules. Some goods are taxable and some tax-free.

    From the Customs’ website you can find information on importing different kind of goods into Finland (such as household goods, motor vehicles), and about the tax treatment.

    For more information

    Finnish customs:

  • Travelling

    Last updated: 26 May 2021 at 13.30.

    You have made a good choice in coming to Oamk. Even if it may seem as a distant location from home, it can be reached fairly easily by many means of transportation.

    The Covid-19 situation is our common concern - our safety and health depends on every one of us. Please read and follow the information and guidelines provided at

    N.B.! All prices, services and service hours described hereafter are presented as directive and can fluctuate or change. Prices have been checked last in June 2020.

    By airplane to Oulu

    Finland and Oulu can be easily reached by air; several airlines fly regularly to the Helsinki-Vantaa Airport, the main airport of Finland.

    Oulu Airport is the second busiest airport in Finland with numerous daily connections from/to Helsinki. SAS flies between Stockholm-Arlanda and Oulu. There are also seasonal services from/to Alicante, Gran Canaria and Tenerife. Information about the Oulu Airport and other airports in Finland and travel connections to and from the airports is available on the website of the Finnish airport operator Finavia.

    Finnair and Norwegian Air Shuttle have several daily flight connections between Helsinki and Oulu. On normal weekdays there are up to 15 return flight connections between Helsinki and Oulu. In winter season 2018/2019 SAS flies four times a week between Stockholm-Arlanda and Oulu (as of April 2019 the frequency increases up to twice daily).

    The Finnish airport operator Finavia’s website provides a handy tool for searching flight connections to/from Finnish airports: Search flight connections.

    Kindly note that it is not possible to stay overnight at the Oulu Airport, as the terminal is closed between 2 am and 4 am.

    Connections from the Oulu airport

    Oulu Airport – Oulu
    Oulu Airport is located in Oulunsalo ca 14 km southwest of the centre of Oulu. You can travel to the centre of Oulu by a local bus or by a taxi.

    There is a regular local bus connection on the bus lines 8 and 9 from the Oulu Airport terminal to the centre of Oulu. Journey time is about 30 min. Oulu Airport is located in the local transport zone B. A single bus ticket from the airport to the city centre costs 5.80 EUR (double price at night between 11 pm and 4.30 am).

    Buses to the centre run on weekday peak hours approximately every 15-30 minutes, in weekday evenings every 40 minutes and at other times once in an hour. The last bus leaves from Oulu Airport Sunday-Friday at 01:20 and on Saturdays at 01:45. See the timetable. Both bus lines 8 and 9 also pass by Välkkylä residence halls (on line 8 Välkkylä is before downtown and on line 9 after the downtown). The bus stop at the airport is some 50 m to the right from the terminal exit.

    If you have a lot of luggage you may also consider taking a taxi, see our section on "Local transportation in Oulu". A taxi to downtown Oulu costs about 35 EUR depending on the journey, number of passengers and time of the day. There is a taxi rank right outside the terminal building. Taxi fares are not regulated, so please check the price before boarding a taxi (the price list has to be visible both in the rear side windows and inside the cars).

    Further information elsewhere on the internet:

    By train to Oulu or Oulainen

    There are numerous daily trains from Helsinki to Oulu. The journey time is usually ca 6-8 hours (9-10 hours on the overnight trains). To take a train to Oulu you should first go from Helsinki Airport to Tikkurila or Helsinki Central Railway Station. Most train connections to Oulu depart from Helsinki Central Railway Station. Only a few night trains depart from Pasila Car Carrier Station (and not from Helsinki Central Railway Station - and not from Pasila Railway Station, either). All long haul trains to Oulu call also at Tikkurila station in Vantaa which is the closest long distance railway station from Helsinki-Vantaa Airport. Some trains will also call at Oulainen (100 km south of Oulu) if you are going to our Oulainen department.

    You can take the train from Helsinki-Vantaa Airport and change the train either in Tikkurila, Pasila or Helsinki Central Railway Station to a train bound for Oulu.

    For train timetables and fares, please see the VR website or call to VR’s English phone service, tel. 0600 41 900 (from abroad +358 600 41 900).

    Oulu Railway Station

    The Oulu Railway Station is in the centre of the city. From the Railway Station it is about 500 m to downtown. There is an underpass connecting the railway station side to the bus station side of the tracks. You can take a Citybus directly from the railway station to downtown Oulu.

    Further information elsewhere on the internet:
    - VR – Finnish Railways:

    Once you are in Oulu and enrolled to our university, you can get a discount for the Finnish Railways (VR) with OSAKO's student card or (if applicable) another accepted student card. It is also possible to ask us at (korvaa # -> @) for a temporary certificate of student status. You can get this normally only in paper and in Oulu during our campus service hours.

    By bus to Oulu

    There are 4-6 daily bus connections on the long-haul buses from Helsinki to Oulu. Notice, however, that on the buses the travel time is remarkably longer and the fares are often higher than on the railways. For more information on long-haul bus connections in Finland, please see the Matkahuolto website. A normal-priced one-way ticket on an express bus from Helsinki to Oulu costs around 75 EUR (journey time ca 9-13 hours) but discounted fares may be available. If you want to travel by bus, check the Helsinki-Oulu bus timetables. Some bus services have also a connecting bus service to/from Helsinki Airport (change of buses at Kerava Rest Area). There are also discounted fares often available.

    Onnibus low-cost bus operator has daily services between Helsinki and Oulu. The travel time is 9 – 10 hours. For further information, please see the Onnibus website. Tickets are the cheapest when bought online in advance on their own website (Matkahuolto website includes also the timetables of Onnibus services but online ticket sales for these services is possbile only on the Onnibus's own website).

    Student discount

    As of autumn 2017 there is no general student discount on the long haul buses anymore. Some bus companies still offer a student discount, however, but you cannot get one on your first trip in Finland as you will have to first register yourself with a Finnish educational institution and acquire a valid Finnish student card entitling you to the possible discount. However, many bus companies and bus lines have online and advance fares that are often a lot cheaper than the earlier discounted tickets for students.

    Oulu Bus Station

    Oulu Bus Station is in Raksila on the opposite side of the railways from the Oulu Railway Station. From the bus station you can take a local bus, taxi or walk to downtown. Walking distance will be some 800 m.

    Further information elsewhere on the internet:

    By car to Oulu

    If you want to come to Oulu by your own car, please keep in mind that the distances within Finland (and to Finland) are vast. Furthermore you (and your car) should also be prepared for winter conditions. The drive from the most commonly used ferry ports Helsinki and Turku to Oulu is ca 600 km and will take about 8 – 10 hours depending on the number and duration of breaks you take during the journey. For planning purposes you can generally count 80 km/h as your average speed when driving in Finland. Traffic runs smoothly and Central European scale traffic jams do not exist in Finland.

    Usage of winter tyres is compulsory in Finland from December to February and always when the road weather conditions require them. Finnish cars are typically also equipped with electric engine-block heaters or fuel operated parking heaters (‘Webasto’). This will enable easy start of cars in cold circumstances and reduce engine wear and fuel consumption.

    You should also acquaint yourself with the special limitation for the import and taxation of motor vehicles in Finland. A vehicle used in Finland must also be covered by a traffic/motor liability insurance valid in Finland.

    Temporary tax-free use of cars in Finland
    If you move to Finland temporarily for studying at an educational institution, you can use your car without having to pay car tax. The general time limit is six months. The vehicle must be covered by a motor liability insurance valid in Finland. The following conditions are to be met for tax -free use:

    • The vehicle is registered outside Finland, and the registration is valid.
    • The vehicle is allowed to be used for not longer than six months, continuously or interruptedly, during a period of twelve months.
    • The use of the vehicle is not connected with purchasing the vehicle for use in Finland.

    If you intend to stay in Finland for more than six months, you should contact the Finnish Customs for details about the right to use the car. The six-month time limit is not applied if you stay in Finland exclusively for studies but you have inform the customs office/tax authorities of this before the expiry of the six-month tax-free period, and also account your studies to the tax authorities for each study term. Customs offices give guidance in making the application for an extension of the prescribed six months’ time limit. The application for extension must be submitted before the expiry of the six-month period.

    If you have moved to Finland from abroad and reside in Finland as a permanent resident, you should register the car you brought as removal goods, and pay car tax before you can use it in traffic in Finland. Please note that the vehicle must always be covered by a motor liability insurance valid in Finland. It is possible to use the car for 30 days before the car tax has been paid. This requires that a commissioning notification for the car is made to Finnish customs. If you bring a car from outside the EEA area, you will also need a transfer permit before you can use it. Transfer permits are granted by Customs and Vehicle Inspection Stations.

    Further information on car taxation and importing a motor vehicle is available on the website of the Finnish Customs.

    Driving License
    Driving licenses issued in another EU or EEA country and interim driving licenses issued in the Nordic countries entitle the holder to drive motor vehicles in Finland equivalent to those indicated on the non-Finnish license. The driver must be at least 18 years old. The right to drive is valid regardless of whether the person is in Finland as a tourist or residing permanently.

    A person residing permanently in a country that has signed the Geneva or Vienna Road Traffic Convention and who holds a national or international driving licence or an official Finnish or Swedish translation of a national driving licence is entitled to drive motor vehicles equivalent to those indicated on the non-Finnish licence provided that the person fulfils the Finnish age requirement to drive such vehicles. The afore-mentioned driving licence is valid in Finland for two years from the start of the holder's period of permanent residence in Finland provided that the licence is valid and no other reason exists for the termination of its validity.

    Further information on foreign driving licenses and on exchanging them to Finnish ones is available from the Finnish Transport and Communications Agency (Traficom).

    Driving a car in Finland
    In Finland vehicles drive on the right. At crossroads, unless otherwise signposted, vehicles coming from the right have priority. Turning right when the traffic light is red is also prohibited. General speed limit in the built-up areas is 50 km/h and elsewhere 80 km/h unless otherwise indicated by appropriate traffic signs. The maximum speed limit on roads is 100 km/h, except on some motorways in summer time 120 km/h. For winter time the maximum speed limits on many roads are lowered to 80 km/h (and 100 km/h on motorways).

    In autumn and early spring, you should watch out for elks when driving in rural areas. These animals are big and especially active at dusk and dawn, and a collision with an elk have usually serious consequences from wrecking the car and severe injuries up to deadly accidents. In the reindeer herding area (in Northern and Northeastern parts of Finland) you should also be alert for occasional reindeer herds as they are roaming wild in the nature throughout the year.

    Winter tyres (with or without studs) are compulsory from the beginning of December to the end of February. Studded tyres may be used on Finnish roads from 1 November until 20 April or whenever the road weather conditions require them. Winter tyres are compulsory also for cars and vans registered abroad when they are driven in Finland during winter. In Oulu people use winter tyres usually from late October to late April, but annual variations in road weather conditions can be vast.

    Usage of headlights is always compulsory, no matter if it is summer or winter, day or night. If an oncoming car flashes its headlights to you it usually means that there is an accident, elk or reindeer on the road ahead, you do not have your headlights on, or you have forgotten to switch the high beams off and they are causing glare to the driver of the oncoming vehicle.

    Seat belts both in front and rear seats of the car must be used by all people in the car. The fuel types readily available at most petrol stations in Finland are unleaded petrol (95 E10 and 98 E5) and diesel (winter/summer quality depending on the season). Further information on road transport fuels in Finland.

    The law regarding the blood-alcohol level for drivers is strictly followed in Finland. The law allows a level of less than 50 mg of alcohol per 100 ml of blood (0.5‰), or 0.22 mg per a litre of exhaled air. Driving under the influence of drugs is also regarded as an offence. Offenders are subject to heavy fines, jail up to 6 months plus withdrawal or suspension of their driving license from 1 month to 5 years. For aggravated drinking driving offence (= 1.2 mg of alcohol in 100 ml (1.2‰) of blood or 0.53 mg in a litre of exhaled air) also a prison sentence from 1 month to 2 years is possible. Routine breath testing without a probable cause is permitted for the police and it is also often practiced on the roads and also in towns.

    Fines for speeding are rather high in Finland. The minimum fine for speeding is 140 EUR and is issued when you are caught for speeding under 15 km/h in an area where the speed limit is at least 60 km/h. If the speed limit is lower than 60 km/h the lowest fine for speeding is 170 EUR. If you are speeding at least 20 km/h the amount of fines will be based on your income with the minimum fine of 200 EUR. Police may control your speed with a radar or with traffic cameras that can be either installed in poles on the road side or in so-called camera vehicles without police signs (i.e. they look like an ordinary civilian vehicle).

    If you have a car accident or witness one in Finland you can call for help by dialling 112 (general emergency response centre number). This number can be called free of charge from all telephones without any prefixes. Through the Emergency Response Centre you can reach the assistance of the police, rescue services, ambulance, social services and other necessary authorities.

    If your car breaks down while you are on the road in Finland, you can turn to the Road Service Centre of the Automobile and Touring Club of Finland by dialling 0200-8080 (1.95€/min + lnc, also queueing is charged for). The services you order from the Road Service Centre (e.g. towing, delivery of fuel etc.) are subject to a charge.

    Buying a car in Finland

    Buying a car is usually not affordable, and used cars also require to thoroughly check the car, and inform yourself about your rights and obligations when purchasing and operating a car. Feel free to consult relevant information from Traficom.

    Further information on driving and road safety in Finland elsewhere on the internet:

    Local transportation in Oulu

    For new arrivals, transportation by taxi is recommended from the airport or train station to the place of accommodation (Routa dormitory), along with safety measures in place, see

    By bicycle and on foot

    It is worth to explore Oulu on foot and by bicycle - commute in an environmental-friendly and healthy way.

    By bus

    Feel free to use the public bus transportation. Please plan your travels within Oulu by means of the journey planner.

    Bus stops usually have individual names depending on locations, but you may also find the closest one based on the street address.

    Overview of bus routes for arriving and departing:

    Detailed bus routes for arriving and departing:

    Other bus routes:

    • Oulu City Centre > North of Oulu
      Take any bus depending on your northward destination from the city centre (Kaupungintalo P)
    • Oulu City Centre > South of Oulu
      Take any bus depending on your southward destination from the city centre(Kaupungintalo E)

    Kindly consult information on tickets and fares. The price for a single ticket depends on the zones within which your are commuting and varies between 3.30 EUR and 5.80 EUR. At night (11 pm - 4.30 am) a double fare is charged for single tickets. Exchange students are entitled to get a discount for 30-day season tickets only.

    By taxi

    To order an Otaxi service in Oulu, please dial +358 600 30081. OTAXI cars are metered and can be recognised from the yellow top part of the vehicle.

    To order a Fixutaxi service in Oulu, please dieal +358 100 6060, or order it through their app when the service will give you a fixed fee for the ride. FixuTaxis are metered unless ordered through the app with a fixed fee. FixuTaxi cars are white with yellow arrows and a FixuTaxi logo on the sides.

    Valopilkku app

  • Visa and Residence Permit

    Depending on your citizenship and duration of exchange at Oamk, you need to handle immigration matters and apply for specific permits, if required. Hereafter please find a table and below further information on visa and residence permits.


    Third Country
    UK: Check the visa info and Brexit info for UK citizens for stays as of 1 January 2021

    Less than 3 months Visa (only if applicable!) Before arrival Visa application
    (via local embassy)

    Third Country
    UK: Check the registration and residence permit info  and Brexit info for stays as of 1 January 2021

    More than 3 months Residence permit Before arrival Residence permit application
    (via Finnish Immigration Service, e-service) See also info leaflet.
    Third Country
    (if you have a valid residence permit in another EU country for the time of your exchange in Finland, and have been admitted to Oamk in the frame of an EU or bilateral exchange programme) 
    More than 3 months Mobility notification Before arrival Mobility notification
    (via Finnish Immigration Service) See also info leaflet.

    EU/EEA Country, incl. Switzerland,

    Not anymore UK as of 1 January 2021: Check the registration and residence permit info  and Brexit info.  

    More than 3 months (*) Right to reside After arrival Right to reside application
    (via Finnish Immigration Service) Obtain your PIC at the same time!
    Nordic Country More than 3 months (*) No permit required, but registration, if applicable After arrival Registration at Local Register Office (Inter-Nordic Agreement)
    (*) Students from EU/EEA and Nordic countries staying less than 3 months do not need a permit before arrival.


    If you (third country citizen) have been admitted for an exchange lasting less than three months (90 days) , then find out whether you need a visa or not and check the information from the Finnish diplomatic mission in your home country or closeby. A visa is a short-term permit to enter and stay in the territory of Finland and Schengen area for a maximum of three months (90 days). Students from most European and North American countries do not need a visa.

    If you need a visa, you should apply for it via the local Finnish diplomatic mission in your home country or closeby before entering Finland. For more information, please check the visa website of the Finnish Ministry of Foreign Affairs (UM) and country lists.

    Residence permit

    If you (third country citizen) have been admitted for an exchange lasting more than three months (90 days), then you are required to obtain a residence permit for studies before entering Finland. Check the information from the Finnish diplomatic mission in your home country or closeby, and then proceed as mentioned hereafter.

    You should submit your residence permit application electronically via the EnterFinland service of the Finnish Immigration Service (Migri) immediately after you have received Oamk's admission email and acceptance letter, see also Migri's info leaflet. You must attach also Oamk's acceptance letter and admission email to your residence permit application!

    N.B.! When applying for a residence permit for the first time, please also indicate that you wish to obtain a Finnish personal identity code at the same time.

    In case you have been admitted to extend your exchange at Oamk, please turn to Migri to also extend your residence permit. You must also provide Oamk's extension acceptance letter and admission email when extending your residence permit.

    Mobility notification

    If you (third country citizen) are currently residing in an EU/EEA country and are maintaining there a valid residence permit for studies covering also the time of your stay at Oamk, and the exchange is arranged in the frame of a mobility agreement and programme between partner universities, it is sufficient to inform the Finnish Immigration Service by means of a mobility notification. More detailed instructions, processing fee and requirements at You must provide also Oamk's acceptance letter and admission email and other relevant documentation to your mobility notification! See also Migri's info leaflet.

  • Registration and Personal Identity Code

    If your exchange studies or your traineeship at Oamk lasts longer than three months (90 days), then you must follow instructions regarding registration. In addition, you need to obtain a Finnish personal identity code (PIC) after your arrival.

    The PIC is required e.g. for registering your mobility and study data, and it may be of help for you when dealing with authorities and service providers. The PIC includes your date of birth in the form DDMMYY, a punctuation mark defining the century of birth (-, or A), personal identification numbers and possibly also an alphabetic letter. For example, the PIC of a person born on 24 December 1999 might look like 241299-9733.

    Students from non-EU Countries and Equivalent (Third Countries)

    You should obtain your Finnish personal identity code (PIC) (*) and take care of registration matters in the first two weeks (excluding possible quarantine time) of your exchange, if you stay in Finland at least or more than 3 months. UK citizens should check the registration info and Brexit info.

    1. Make an appointment to the Digital and Population Data Services Agency (DVV Agency). The agency was formerly termed Local Register Office or Maistraatti.

    N.B.! Due to Covid-19 appointments online for at most three (3) students at a time:

    Ideally, one (1) student should make a reservation for three (3) students at a time via> ”EN” > “Selected service: Personal law services > International registrations” > “Service location in Oulu”. It is possible to also make your individual appointment.

    The times are divided into periods of 30 minutes, which can be reserved for a maximum of three (3) students. The student making the reservation should enter the names of all three (3) students in the additional information field (“Other info” > “Customer’s comment”).

    (*) Check beforehand also, if your Finnish personal identity code (PIC) is printed on the backside of your residence permit card, as you may have applied for it and received it together with your residence permit application. In any case, make an appointment and proceed as outlined hereafter

    2. Visit the DVV agency in person based on your scheduled appointment, Digital and Population Data Services Agency in Oulu

    Isokatu 4, 90100 Oulu, Finland, 2nd floor
    Service hours: Mon - Fri 9.00 - 16.15 (by appointment only!)

    3. Take along

    • National proof of identity or a passport
    • Enrolment certificate from Oamk
    • Form "Registration of personal data" (available also in paper at the DVV Agency)
    • Residence permit card, if you have it, or mobility notification email

    4. Once you have obtained your PIC, submit your arrival form via MoveON (log in with your MoveON and not with your Oamk user credentials!) along with your PIC directly to our team as described in the section on "Arrival" > "Check in meeting".

    Students from EU and EEA Countries and Switzerland

    You should obtain your Finnish personal identity code (PIC) and take care of registration matters in the first two weeks (excluding possible quarantine time) of your exchange, if you stay in Finland at least 3 months or longer.

    1. Make an appointment to the Digital and Population Data Services Agency (DVV Agency). The agency was formerly termed Local Register Office or Maistraatti.

    N.B.! Due to Covid-19 appointments online for at most three (3) students at a time.

    Ideally, one (1) student should make a reservation for three (3) students at a time via> ”EN” > “Selected service: Personal law services > International registrations” > “Service location in Oulu”. It is possible to also make your individual appointment.

    The times are divided into periods of 30 minutes, which can be reserved for a maximum of three (3) students. The student making the reservation should enter the names of all three (3) students in the additional information field (“Other info” > “Customer’s comment”).

    2. Visit the DVV agency in person based on your scheduled appointment, Digital and Population Data Services Agency in Oulu

    Isokatu 4, 90100 Oulu, Finland, 2nd floor
    Service hours: Mon - Fri 9.00 - 16.15 (by appointment only!)

    3. Take along

    • National proof of identity or a passport
    • Enrolment certificate from Oamk
    • Form "Registration of personal data" (available also in paper at the DVV Agency)

    4. Once you have obtained your PIC, submit your arrival form via MoveON (log in with your MoveON and not with your Oamk user credentials!) along with your PIC directly to our team as described in the section on "Arrival" > "Check in meeting".

    Take also care of your EU registration and register your right of residence as soon as possible:

    5. Submit your application for EU registration within the first two weeks of your stay through the EnterFinland online service of the Finnish Immigration Service (Migri). You can pay the handling fee (49 EUR) in the online service with a credit card.

    6. Make an appointment online to the Migri service point in Oulu,

    7. Visit the Migri service point in Oulu in person to prove your identity and to present original versions of any attachments required for the application.

    Kindly note that Migri's customer service may be congested, and you may get an appointment only in 2-3 months after the online application. In January the Migri service point will move to another location, so please make your appointment only as of February!

    Migri service point in Oulu (as of February)

    Address: Tutkijankuja 9, 90590 Oulu (in Google Maps as Tutkijantie 5, 90590 Oulu)
    Open by appointment: Monday–Wednesday and Friday 8–16.15. Closed on Thursdays.

    7. Take along

    • National proof of identity or a passport
    • Enrolment certificate from Oamk
    • Health insurance (e.g. European Health Insurance Card or private health insurance policy/certificate)
    • Means of support (e.g. proof of scholarships or grants, bank statement etc.)

    Students from Nordic Countries

    You should obtain your Finnish personal identity code (PIC) and take care of registration matters in the first two weeks (excluding possible quarantine time) of your exchange, if you stay in Finland at least or longer than 3 months.

    Please follow the instructions below. Please note, however, that your registration and PIC depends also on the inter-Nordic agreement on population registration. Feel free to also consult the mobility information service Info Norden - it provides information for Nordic citizens who intend to settle, study or work in another Nordic country.

    1. Make an appointment to the Digital and Population Data Services Agency (DVV Agency). The agency was formerly termed Local Register Office or Maistraatti.

    N.B.! Due to Covid-19 appointments online for at most three (3) students at a time.

    Ideally, one (1) student should make a reservation for three (3) students at a time via> ”EN” > “Selected service: Personal law services > International registrations” > “Service location in Oulu”. It is possible to also make your individual appointment.

    The times are divided into periods of 30 minutes, which can be reserved for a maximum of three (3) students. The student making the reservation should enter the names of all three (3) students in the additional information field (“Other info” > “Customer’s comment”).

    2. Visit the DVV agency in person based on your scheduled appointment:
    Digital and Population Data Services Agency in Oulu

    Isokatu 4, 90100 Oulu, Finland, 2nd floor
    Service hours: Mon - Fri 9.00 - 16.15 (by appointment only!)

    3. Take along

    • National proof of identity or a passport
    • Enrolment certificate from Oamk
    • Form "Registration of personal data" (available also in paper at the DVV Agency)

    4. Once you have obtained your PIC, submit your arrival form via MoveON (log in with your MoveON and not with your Oamk user credentials!) along with your PIC directly to our team as described in the section on "Arrival" > "Check in meeting".

  • Working in Finland

    Right to work for exchange students

    The main purpose of your exchange is to pursue studies or a traineeship and you are enrolled at Oamk as a full-time exchange student.

    EU/EEA citizens and citizens of Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein and Switzerland are allowed to work in Finland without any restrictions as long as you have registered your right to stay in Finland (see ”Registration and residence permit”).

    Third country i.e. Non-EU/EEA citizens with a valid residence permit are allowed to work an average of 25 hours per week without a separate working permit during study terms when lectures are running. During holidays, for example in the summer and over Christmas holidays, non-EU citizens are allowed to work full-time without any hour restrictions. Non-EU citizens are allowed to work full-time also when the work is a part of their studies, such as practical training or thesis writing.

    Finnish working culture

    Finns are known as hard workers. It is a privilege to have a good permanent job in Finland, as not all have one. Both men and women work, and they are both respected and equal in the labour market.

    Men and women should also receive the same salary for the same job. The power distance in Finnish companies is relatively low compared to many other countries. The hierarchy between old and young workers or lower and higher positions exists, but it is not as visible as in many other countries. Employees are expected to take part in the decision-making processand to make decisions independently as well. Employees are expected to take initiative and not ask what and how to do all the time. Employers trust their employees, and the Finns work independently without much need for supervision.

    The Finnish working culture is task-oriented. The Finns focus on tasks rather than on relationships. ”Business over pleasure” is a phrase that describes the Finnish working culture quite well.

    Employees’ ideas for development, such as how the work could be done better or more effectively are appreciated. However, it is important to be humble and modest and not boast about one’s input.

    The communication between colleagues, even between managers and employees is very informal. People call each other by their first names at work.

    In some companies the salary is negotiable and in some it is not. There are different collective labour agreements, which define the minimum wages and other regulations. Employers should follow these agreements. The salary is usually paid once or twice a month on the 15th or on the 30th. The salary is paid into a bank account, and cash is never used.

    Normal office hours are from 8 am to 4 pm or from 9 am to 5 pm on weekdays. In some companies the working hours are partly flexible. This means, for example, that you may start your work between 7 and 9 am and then leave between 3 and 5 pm depending on when you started.

    There are also shift work schedules when people work during the day, in the evenings and at nighttime.

    Social relations such as family ties or friends do not usually help you to get a job in Finland. Your own skills and competencies are the most important factor when applying for a job. However, an official reference from your former employer may help.

    Most Finnish employees are members of trade unions. Trade unions are organisations that negotiate working conditions and terms, including salary with the employers’ associations. Trade unions are support organisations, from which the members can receive help and answers to their questions.

    They also help with legal matters and pay earnings-related benefits in case of unemployment. The members of the trade unions pay membership fees. The amount of the fee varies between different unions. There are separate unions for different fields. If you wish to become a member of a trade union, you should ask your workmates which would be the best trade union for you. There is also a general unemployment fund called YTK (Yleinen työttömyyskassa). Regardless of the field, anyone can become a member.

    The employee has a right to receive a reference or testimonial from the employer, when the employment contract ends. It should state at least the period of employment and the main tasks.

    For more information

    Searching for work

    There are many different parties advertising open positions. The most important thing is that you are active and look for open positions yourself, as no one will do it for you. Job advertisements and information on open positions can be found on the Internet, in newspapers and magazines, and from recruiting departments’ website. Not all companies advertise their open positions through online recruitment services or in newspapers, as they have their own recruiting departments. Big companies such as Nokia and Finnair conduct recruitment by themselves. However, most companies advertise open positions on online recruitment services or human resource services.

    Online recruitment services

    Employment and economic development offices provide information on open positions and help in finding a job. Employment and economic development offices have their own online recruitment services. The biggest online recruitment service is maintained by the Ministry of Labour's Public Employment and Business Services. It is available in English, but the ”Vacancies” section is only in Finnish. Please check our guidelines for using this service,

    Our university has launched the Oamk Pro service - a platform and app to connect students and enterprises/organisations for work and practical training.

    For more information

    Company databases

    You may also contact companies directly and use their or other recruitment websites to submit your application (see tips in the guide mentioned above). Here's the Oulu Region Company Database:

    Here’s the company database for Finland (use Google Translate and search with field-specific terms):

    You’ll find also lists and job / practical training positions shared in the Oiva student intranet (only accessible for enrolled students):

    Also, keep track of job / practical training announcements published in Oiva!

    Human Resource services

    Human Resource services are links between employers and employees. They act as intermediaries by providing information on open positions for job applicants. They also do the recruitment on behalf of companies who are looking for employees.

    Applying for work

    Before you start applying, think about what kind of work you are looking for and find out the requirements of different professions. Different tasks require different kinds of skills and competencies.

    There are always other applicants as well, even hundreds for one open position. Therefore, it is important to stand out from the crowd and write a good personal application and CV. (Tip! Finns use a CV rather than a resume.) Before you start writing your application, familiarise yourself well with the job advertisement: What kind of an employee is the company looking for? Think about what kind of skills you have and find out your professional competencies in Finland. Get Finnish translations of your most important certificates (study certificates and testimonials). It is also possible to apply for acknowledgement of a higher education degree. For more information on the acknowledgement opportunities, please consult the Finnish Ministry of Education.

    Send the application on time. Late applications are not taken into consideration. There are almost always application deadlines (date and time), and these should be followed very carefully. It is better to send the application at least a few days before the application time ends.

    Finnish language skills are very important in the Finnish labour market. Fluent Finnish skills are almost always required. It is valuable to know even some Finnish and to be eager to learn more. This will show that you are enthusiastic and interested in learning the language.

    Job Applications and CVs

    You can find many websites offering guidance for job seeking and for writing CVs and applications:

    Job Interview

    When you are invited to a job interview, make sure you will leave early enough to find the right place and to be there on time. If you are late, you will probably not be hired. When meeting someone for the first time, people shake hands, look each other in the eyes and smile. The handshake should be firm.

    Prepare yourself for an interview by getting to know the company, as they may test what you know about them. Websites are a good source of information. Be prepared to talk about yourself as well: your characteristics, competencies and previous academic and work experience. Interviewers almost always ask why you want to work especially for that company, why they should hire you instead of someone else, and what makes you a better applicant compared to others.

    Remember to take all your original testimonials, degree certificates and your application and CV with you to the interview. Learn how to act on the phone when applying for a job. Sometimes employers do not invite you to a face-to-face interview, but they may as well call you and interview you on the phone.

    For more information

    Career planning and entrepreneurship

    Here's quite a bit of information on career planning for students, Aaarresaari Academic Career Service –

    Entrepreneurship is highly valued in Finland. Anyone can start a business regardless of nationality. Running a business is hard work, but if you have a good business idea, go for it. If you’re interested in becoming an entrepreneur yourself, the City of Oulu and Oamk offers help and support for setting up a business as well.

    Students can develop their business idea in a business incubator and gain academic credits at the same time. Professional teachers specialised in entrepreneurship guide students in setting up and developing their business.

    For more information

    Special licenses

    You need to have a certain kind of a licence or a pass for certain tasks. These licences are easy to obtain by attending a short course and passing a test. Below you will find information on the hygiene pass, the licence to sell alcoholic beverages, and the occupational safety card.

    Hygiene passport

    The hygiene passport is a proof of a person’s knowledge of hygiene issues. The hygiene passport is a minimum requirement in occupations, where employees deal with unpacked food. This is a law set by the government. There are two organisations that arrange hygiene passport education and tests in English in Oulu.

    In Educational Consortium OSAO (formerly Oulu Vocational College) the training days are usually listed online, (info also in English, if available training). The training costs approx. 80 EUR (including the test).The test amounts to up to approx. 50 EUR.

    In Oulu College of Services (Oulun Palvelualan Opisto) you can check their website at, and call the switchboard for further information on tests in English and enrolment at +358 8 535 2000.

    Check this service provider's website for further information: > English

    Licence for serving alcohol beverages

    A licence to serve alcoholic beverages is required in occupations where employees serve alcoholic drinks, such as in restaurants and bars. The licence to serve alcoholic beverages is a proof of a person’s sufficient knowledge of alcohol legislation. Oulu Adult Education Centre arranges training for this. Foreigners who are willing to attend the training must arrange it well in advance.

    Occupational safety card

    The occupational safety card training has been designed to improve safety in the workplace. The occupational safety card is voluntary, but some employers may ask whether you have it. Unfortunately the trainings are arranged mainly in Finnish. If you are interested in taking part in the training, contact The Centre for Occupational Safety.

    For more information


    Everyone who receives a salary for the work done in Finland needs to pay earned income tax. Income tax is paid from wages, professional and business income, rewards, commission, and benefits.

    The tax rate depends on how long you are staying in Finland – for six months or longer. For foreigners, whose stay in Finland will last over six months, the earned income tax rate is progressive.

    This means that the more you earn, the more tax you pay. The tax rate is approximately 20 per cent for annual incomes up to 12,000 euros. For higher incomes the rate is higher. When you start working in Finland, you need to deliver a tax card to the employer. The tax will be withheld in advance from your salary by your employer. In addition to tax, social security payments will be charged from the wages. If you are self-employed, you need to pay taxes in advance yourself.

    To get a tax card, anyone staying in Finland for over six months needs to fill in an application form (5042a). The form is available at the local tax office or can be downloaded from the Internet. The form needs to be returned to the local tax office, which is located in the city centre (Torikatu 34). You can also get your tax card through an online service. To sign in you will need an internet banking account in Finland.

    Final taxation: Every year, the tax office checks if everyone has paid a correct amount of tax. The tax office sends a pre-completed tax form to each citizen in April. Employees need to check that it is filled in correctly. In the event that there are some mistakes, they need to be corrected. If you have paid too much tax it will be returned and vice versa. The corrected tax form must be returned to the tax office in May. After it has been checked by the tax office, the final tax decision will be sent. The decision will provide the final result of taxation. The tax decision includes a certificate of taxation.

    This certificate is very important and it needs to be kept safe!

    For more information:

Administrator of the page: Bastian Fähnrich  |  Page updated: July 8th, 2021