Studying at Oamk
We at Oamk wish to facilitate a good learning experience for everyone involved in an exchange to our university. You (and we) have many opportunities for learning during an exchange. Below we have provided plenty of practical information on studying at our university. Please consult the information to make yourself familiar with our university.
ECTS and Assessment
European Credit Transfer System (ECTS)
The Finnish credit system has been updated to comply with the European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS) so that the Finnish credits are equivalent to the ECTS credits.
ECTS credits are a value allocated to course units to describe the student workload required to complete them. They reflect the quantity of work each course requires in relation to the total quantity of work required to complete a full academic year, including lectures, practical training, seminars, private/independent work, examinations and other assessment activities.
In ECTS 60 credits represent one (1) year of study in terms of the regular semester workload. ECTS credits are allocated to courses and are awarded to students who successfully complete those courses.
This table shows how ECTS grades are applied to the grading system of Oamk:
4 very good
F or FX
Some study attainments can also be assessed on the grading scale pass/fail.
Kindly note that at Oamk grading is done according to the assessment framework and/or assessment procedure that has been approved by our Rector. As outlined above, our grading scale is either numeric from O (fail) to 5 (excellent), or verbal on scale pass /fail. A verbal pass grade ("P" in the transcript of records, "H" in Peppi) means that the student has reached the learning objectives of the course. Thus, an Oamk verbal grade "pass" is not to be interpreted as only the lowest possible pass grade. Normally "pass" marks cannot be changed into grades.
Oamk's curricula are competence-based and objectives, learning outcomes and assessment of courses are defined in the course descriptions. Assessment in Oamk is not based on statistical distribution of grades. It can be converted into ECTS grades, as mentioned in the table above.
Read up more on assessment at Oamk from our general Study Guide. It is mostly targeted at degree students, but the information on exams, assessment framework and procedure etc. also applies to exchange students.
Scope and workload examples for traineeships, project work or art/event productions:
1 ECTS cr = 27 hours of work (including working time in laboratory, meetings, breaks, literature review and independent studies for project, writing plan and report etc.)
10 ECTS cr = 270 hrs:
- Approx. 30 hours/week or 6 hours/day = 9 weeks = 2.25 months
- Approx. 35 hours/week or 7 hours/day = 8 weeks = 2 months
- Approx. 40 hours/week or 8 hours/day = 7 weeks = 1.75 months
Course Descriptions and Enrolment
You can obtain detailed course descriptions by searching for the courses with the basic or implementation course code in the section "Course search" (under "Curricula" or "Course implementations"). We advise to search for courses by its basic code (e.g. Y0002EE) or by name (e.g. Finnish Survival Course).
There are normally three implementations of the Finnish Survival course in each term, with a specific implementation code, usually four additional digits after the basic course code, e.g. Y00022E-3030 Finnish Survival Course, 3 ECTS cr.
Y00022E-3030 (group A), 31.8.2020 - 23.11.2020
Y00022E-3031 (group B), 2.9.2020 - 25.11.2020
Y00022E-3033 (group D), 14.1.2021 - 154.2021
Y00022E-3035 (group F), 2.3.2021 - 20.4.2021
Y00022E-3023 (group A), 26.8.2019 - 3.10.2019
Y00022E-3024 (group B), 4.9.2019 - 27.11.2019
Y00022E-3025 (group C), 7.10.2019 - 21.11.2019
Y00022E-3026 (group D), 13.1.2020 - 20.2.2020
Y00022E-3027 (group E), 8.1.2020 - 1.4.2020
Y00022E-3028 (group F), 9.3.2020 - 20.4.2020
Oamk is using a "Peppi" system to make course enrolments. You should be able to make your course enrolments (after you have arrived and registered at Oamk) by accessing the Peppi system (www.oamk.fi/peppi) with your student account credentials (username and password). Please consult our instructions for course enrolments, at https://it.oamk.fi/9830?lang=en.
You do not need to make course enrolments, if you are
- a trainee and do not pursue any courses during your exchange
- a student in health and social care students
- a student in Demola or independent project courses
If you wish to make changes to your course enrolments (adding and deleting courses), then you must first agree and confirm the availability and suitability of the courses beforehand between all relevant parties by devising the learning agreement. It is normally only possible to make changes during the first weeks of the term and/or period! You cannot unenroll from courses - once you have confirmed that you can cancel a course, please notify the teacher in charge. For adding a course, you can then access Peppi and enroll to the course. If the implementation period has already ended, notify the course teacher for course enrolment.
General ethical guidelines
Please make yourself familiar with our university's general ethical guidelines as well as rules and regulations. We emphasise equality and accessibility, as well as safety and security We have a zero tolerance for harassment and discrimination.
In case of questions or problems, please turn to our staff or fellow students, especially, peer tutors, or our student union OSAKO.
Ethical guidelines for studies, research and professional work
You may need to consider the following things during your studies or research, just to name but a few:
- purpose and methods of your work
- credibility, reliability or accountability of your work
- privacy and data protection matters
- equality, safety and security issues
- approaching and working with different people
- handling surveys, questionnaires, interviews etc.
- creating and maintaining databases
- dealing with sensitive and confidential data
- adhering to business secrets or contracts
- following legal and fiscal rights and obligations
- copyrights and third party regulations
- hygiene and medical requirements
- asking for research or other permissions and licences
- publishing results of your work
If your studies, research or professional work concerns our university - students or staff alike - you need to apply for a license following these instructions.
Arene's Rectors Conference of Finnish Universities of Applied Sciences has published very reasonable ethical guidelines for academic and professional work. The guidelines are mostly about thesis work, but they may be useful also for other purposes. The following links provide information in English on Arene’s website:
- Ethical recommendations for thesis writing at universities of applied sciences
- Ethical guidelines for thesis work – checklists for students and supervisors
Regulations on academic and professional conduct
You are expected to follow the academic and professional study rules and proper conduct. Cheating in studies or exam situations and plagiarism etc. is not allowed nor tolerated. Violating these rules and conducting inappropriately leads to a failed course, and a hearing with academic and administrative staff. It may also lead to a warning or suspension. Notice of the cheating or inappropriate conduct may be also sent to your home university. Read up more on our university's regulations.
Feedback and evaluation
During your exchange, you are encouraged to provide feedback instantly and directly to our academic and/or professional staff such as supervisors of traineeships or projects. You will be asked to provide evaluation of your learning and the teaching or supervision usually at the end of each course. Be pro-active and reflect on your learning and teaching experience in a constructive way.
Peer tutors will be assigned to every exchange student by the Student Union OSAKO and International Services of Oamk. The peer tutors are degree students of Oamk, whose job is to make the studies and life in Oamk as smooth as possible for you.
Your own tutor will contact you before the exchange, once assignments have been completed. A group of tutors will welcome you for arrival services at the beginning of your exchange. Feel free to keep in touch with your own and other tutors during your exchange.
We’re using WhatsApp and Facebook groups for all exchange students and peer tutors of Oamk – feel free to join in:
Here is a list of all possible activities of Oamk's international peer tutoring:
Administrative and Academic Coordinators
Administrative Coordinators (incoming.students#oamk.fi (korvaa # -> @))
Roles: exchange application information and guidance, learning agreements (before, during and after the mobility) orientation days, check in, check up and check out meeting.
N.B.! Services for incoming students are currently not available face-to-face at the campuses until further notice. We nevertheless serve by email and by phone/whatsapp. Meetings can be arranged online, e.g. by means of Zoom or Teams:
- Mr Bastian Fähnrich: incoming.students#oamk.fi (korvaa # -> @), +358 50 31 749 31, Education Designer
(Health & Social Care, Media & Performing Arts, Professional Teacher Education, Demola, Game LAB, HNU Programme)
- Ms Marianne Isola: incoming.students#oamk.fi (korvaa # -> @) +358 50 408 7990, Development Manager
(Business, Engineering, Information Technology, Natural Resources).
Roles: exchange study information and guidance concerning studies and practical training, including field-specific advice on courses, course enrolment, schedules, special needs assistance etc.
- Ms Virpi Riuttanen substituting for Piia Hyvämäki (Health Care and Nursing, incl. Emergency Care, Midwifery, Nursing, Preventive Health Care)
- Ms Eija Mämmelä (Social Services and Rehabilitation, incl. Occupational Therapy, Physiotherapy, Social Services)
- Ms Aino-Liisa Jussila (Special Fields in Health Care, incl. Biomedical Laboratory Science, Dental Health Care, Optometry, Radiography and Radiation Theory)
- Ms Kirsi Myllykangas (Oulainen Campus)
- Mr Esa Virkkula (Professional Teacher Education)
- Mr Jyrki Holappa (Business)
- Mr Ilkka Mikkonen until 31 July and Ms Anu Niva as of 1 August 2021 (Business Information Systems, HNU Master Porgramme, incl. Game LAB on Rantakatu Game Campus / Ms Anu Niva temporarily on leave of absence
- Ms Elina Bergroth (Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Construction Architecture, Electrical and Automation Engineering, Energy Technology and Building Services, Natural Resources)
- Ms Anne Keskitalo (Information Technology)
- Ms Karoliina Niemelä (Media, incl. Visual Design Factory, Journalistic LAB)
- Ms Outi Nissi (Music)
- Mr Petri Hoppu (Dance)
Roles: if need be, more detailed field-specific exchange study information and guidance.
- Ms Raija Rajala (Emergency Care)
- Mr Markus Karttunen (Nursing)
- Ms Minna Manninen (Midwifery)
- Ms Sanna Sandström (Preventive Health Care & DHBW BWS plus project NNHC)
- Ms Eija Mämmelä (Physiotherapy)
- Ms Maarit Virtanen (Occupational Therapy)
- Ms Riikka Huttunen (Social Services)
- Ms Katja Nummilinna (Biomedical Laboratory Science)
- Ms Meeri Oinonen (Dental Health Care)
- Ms Tanja Schroderus-Salo (Radiography and Radiation Theory)
- Mr Stefan Diekhoff (Optometry)
- Ms Marjo Heikkinen (Electrical and Automation Engineering)
- Ms Pirjo Partanen (Energy Technology and Building Services)
- Ms Heidi Hedström (Civil Engineering, Construction Architecture)
- Ms Arja Maunumäki (Natural Resources, Agriculture & Rural Industries)
- Mr Heikki Timonen (Visual Design Factory)
- Mr Marko Taivalkoski (Journalistic LAB)
- Mr Tomi Huhtamäki (Demola, Oamk)
- Mr Erkki Nuottila (Game LAB)
Traineeships may follow a different process and involve persons with different roles, see the section on "Traineeships" > Useful links > Roles, Responsibilities and Process
- Mr Bastian Fähnrich: incoming.students#oamk.fi (korvaa # -> @), +358 50 31 749 31, Education Designer
We at Oamk shall devise a learning agreement with all incoming exchange students and applicants regardless of the framework of exchange. A learning agreement is a contract between a student / trainee, your home university and Oamk (or a traineeship provider). It ensures provision of education at Oamk and accreditation or recognition of your exchange studies or traineeship at your home university after your exchange.
- Erasmus+ students and trainees from European partner universities, please obtain the Erasmus+ learning agreement for studies or for traineeships on the template of your home university. If you are using Online Learning Agreements (OLA), please read beforehand and follow Oamk's guidelines for OLAs for studies or OLA for traineeships (to be published).
- Erasmus+ students from Erasmus+ Global partner universities, please use Oamk's template, which meets the standards of the Erasmus+ framework.
- Students and trainees of bilateral agreements and free movers, please use Oamk’s template of the learning agreement for studies.
Learning agreement (before the mobility)
Please make sure that your learning agreement has been approved by all relevant parties before you come to pursue studies or a traineeship at Oamk.
You must devise your learning agreement (before the mobility) and upload it signed by you and representative of your home university as a PDF file to MoveOn before submitting your application to Oamk. If you cannot get the signature of your home university representative before the application deadline, please attach it without the signature to your application. If you need advice from Oamk, please email a draft version as an editable Word or PDF to incoming.students#oamk.fi (korvaa # -> @). It is also possible to use Erasmus+ Online Learning Agreements for exchange students from the EU, i.e. if you come for studies. The OLA for traineeships is just being tested at the moment.
Please note that it is possible to pursue courses only from one of the offered exchange study programmes due to timetable constraints. You must make your course choice in MoveOn, see u.oamk.fi/exchangestudies. Learning agreements with conflicting course choices cannot be considered and will be rejected on the part of courses which timetables will conflict.
If you are coming for a traineeship or work placement, please check the section "Traineeships" on the website. In this case, your learning agreement for traineeships (before the mobility) should be signed by the mentor or supervisor, and a copy must be sent to incoming.students#oamk.fi (korvaa # -> @).
Our international academic coordinators will review your application, course choice and learning agreement and make admission decisions internally within 2-3 weeks after the application. Kindly note that some exchange study programmes require also interviews. International administrative coordinators will sign your learning agreement (before the mobility) and email it along with the externally relevant admission decision and a letter of acceptance. The whole admission process takes normally up to a month as of the application deadline.
Learning agreement (during the mobility)
You may make changes to your course choice during the mobility (add or delete courses) or traineeship and update your learning agreement (during the mobility) accordingly. For that purpose, please consult at first Oamk’s international academic coordinator, and notify also incoming.students#oamk.fi (korvaa # -> @). In addition, you have to agree with your home university, whether the course changes or traineeship update is possible and can be accredited at your home university. Use the template for the learning agreement (during the mobility) from your home university and get all signatures. For Oamk, any of our administrative coordinators is entitled to sign your learning agreement for studies (during the mobility), usually our Oamk Services representative. In case you pursue a traineeship, your learning agreement for traineeships (during the mobility) should be signed by the mentor or supervisor, and a copy must be sent to incoming.students#oamk.fi (korvaa # -> @).
Learning agreement (after the mobility)
The learning agreement (after the mobility) is usually not required for exchange studies, but it is replaced with Oamk's digital transcript of records. Our digital transcript of records includes all relevant information so that you can accredit your exchange at your home university, e.g. your courses and assessment results as well as the ECTS conversion table. If your home university requires the learning agreement (after the mobility), please email it on the template of your home university to incoming.students#oamk.fi (korvaa # -> @), and you will receive it by email at the latest five (5) weeks after all the assessment has been completed at Oamk.
In case you pursue a traineeship, your learning agreement for traineeships (after the mobility) or the traineeship certificate should be signed by the mentor or supervisor, and a copy must be sent to incoming.students#oamk.fi (korvaa # -> @).
- Name: Oulu University of Applied Sciences (Oamk), Oulun ammattikorkeakoulu
- Erasmus code: SF OULU11
- Campus: normally not required, depends on field or exchange study programme
- Department: depends on field or exchange study programme
- International Mobility Services & Oamk Services
incoming.students#oamk.fi (korvaa # -> @)
Oamk Services: Yliopistokatu 9, wing 7C, 90570 Oulu (main service point at Linnanmaa campus)
At the moment we are working in a kind of team and learning agreements are signed centrally. Please add the two contact persons mentioned below. We both can sign learning agreements, as responsible persons as well as receiving administrative persons:
- For students in health & social care, media & performing arts, Game LAB, Demola, professional peacher education:
Bastian Fähnrich, +358 50 31 749 31, incoming.students#oamk.fi (korvaa # -> @), Education Designer, Oamk Services
- For students in business, information technology, business information systems, engineering, natural resources:
Marianne Isola, +358 50 4087 990, incoming.students#oamk.fi (korvaa # -> @), Development Manager, International Mobility Services
Student Restaurants and Meal Subsidy
There are various student restaurants on campuses. For lunch serving times and opening hours, please see the restaurants’ info signs and check the websites. There is usually a choice of different salads, vegetarian meals, meals including meat or fish and side dishes. Bread and water / milk / juice is included in the meal price. Coffee / tea has to be purchased separately.
- Juvenes and Uniresta, Linnanmaa campus, www.oulu.fi/forstudents/student-restaurants
- Restaurant Alwari, Kontinkangas Campus, www.amica.fi/en/alwari
- Restaurant Vanilla, close to Rantakatu/Game campus, Torikatu 34-40
Students are entitled to a meal subsidy. Lunch prices varies according to the dishes from approx. 2 EUR to special meals over 4 EUR. You have to prove your student status with a KELA meal subsidy card and a valid passport/ID or OSAKO Student Union card.
Meal subsidy cards will be given to enrolled exchange students during the orientation days. If you are a member of the student union OSAKO and have a valid student membership card, you do not need a separate meal subsidy card in order to be entitled to the student-priced meals.
Salad, bread, a drink (water / milk / juice / Finnish home ale) is included in the lunch price. Sprinkles (nuts, seeds, croutons, dried fruit, breadcrumbs and such) can be added to the meal free of charge.
Restaurant Alwari has a one-dish policy: with a student price you can have one dish on a single plate:
Transcripts and Certificates
We at Oamk require physical presence of exchange students / trainees during our official terms and mobility periods. The term and mobility periods have been planned so that you can complete your learning activities during the times given. The official exchange duration is documented in all mobility documents issued by Oamk.
Before or during your exchange you will get the following documents, at least digital copies:
- Letter of acceptance before the mobility in the admission email
- Learning agreement before the mobility in the admission email
- Enrolment certificate at the first orientation day or check in meeting
- Learning agreement during the mobility, if changes occur during your exchange
After your exchange you will get at least the following digital documents on Oamk's template:
- Letter of confirmation (see details below)
- Transcript of records (see details below)
As of December 2020 we do not anymore send hard copies of the aformentioned documents by postal mail. Usually, we also do not anymore email (encrypted) soft copies of the transcript of records:
Letter of confirmation
We will email your letter of confirmation on Oamk's template to you via MoveON after your exchange:
- Autumn: usually in January
- Spring: usually in April - June depending on the duration of your exchange
Oamk's digital letter of confirmation includes the basic information of your exchange and, especially the duration of your stay at Oamk. See more about the duration of your mobility below.
Transcript of records
Once you have finished your learning activities for studies or a traineeship, the teachers / supervisors have three (3) weeks (excluding holidays) for completing the assessment and adding the results to Oamk's system.
You can then obtain your digital transcript of records with your Oamk credentials. Our digital transcript of records includes the course and project work assessment results according to Oamk's grading scale and ECTS conversion tables, and/or course progress information.
- Obtain the digital copy
- Use the Atomi validator service to check the authenticity.
Please share the validator service link also with your home university staff responsible for recognising your exchange studies. See also the information on checking the authenticity of digital documents provided by our ICT Services.
The Erasmus+ learning agreement for studies (after the mobility) will be issued separately only, if required by your home university. Oamk's digital transcript is sufficient normally!
If you are pursuing an Erasmus+ traineeship at Oamk or a local company/organisation, you will usually also receive an Erasmus+ learning agreement for traineeships (after the mobility) respectively a traineeship certificate from your supervisor after completion of all traineeship tasks and once the assessment has been completed by the supervisor. If need be, ask for advice from incoming.students#oamk.fi (korvaa # -> @). Also, email a soft copy of the final version of your traineeship certificate to us.
Duration of the mobility
The duration of your stay at Oamk is defined and documented based on your physical presence and learning activities during your exchange.
Stays and durations as originally planned:
If you stay at Oamk and pursue learning activities at Oamk as originally planned, we will state the duration as mentioned in your acceptance letter and enrolment certificate.
Interrupted stays and durations due to Covid-19:
If you interrupt your stay due to Covid-19 and leave Oamk but pursue remote studies, we will state the duration as mentioned in your acceptance letter and enrolment certificate or as long as the learning activities continue. Remote studies due to Covid-19 will be stated as well, if you had to interrupt your stay and leave earlier.
If you interrupt your stay due to Covid-19 and leave Oamk but do not pursue remote studies from back home, we will state the duration as of the beginning until the end of your day of departure from Oamk. We will nevertheless mention also the duration as originally planned.
Other exceptional stays and durations:
If your learning activities end earlier than planned on the part of Oamk, you can leave our university a few days (normally only 5 days) before the official end of the term or mobility period.
If you end your learning activities and depart from Oamk on your own part considerably earlier than planned, this must be documented in Oamk’s statements of duration of your stay, e.g. our letter of confirmation and transcript of records. An early departure may have an effect on the Erasmus+ or equivalent grant issued by your home university or a third party.
If your learning activities last longer than the official end of the term or mobility period, then you have to consult all parties at Oamk and your home university about an extension of your stay. An extension of your stay may have an impact on your Erasmus+ or equivalent grants of mobility schemes.
Additional and exceptional hard copies of the transcript, or transcripts issued due to e.g. misplacing the documents, are subject to the fees:
- Transcript of records 10 EUR (1 copy, additional copies for more than 3 copies 1 EUR/copy)
- Degree certificate with appendices 40 EUR (1 copy)
- Reference letters or complementary certificates for working abroad 40 EUR (1 copy) and investigation and reports by the head of the degree programme 60 EUR/hour.
- Delivery as a registered letter to Finland 6 EUR and abroad 10 EUR
- Delivery as a registered cash on delivery letter to Finland 10 EUR (not possible for international deliveries).
Please agree on the mode of delivery with the International Services in advance. The receipt of payment can be sent as an email attachment, or it can also be produced upon pick up, if copies or certificates are picked up in person. Cash payments are not accepted.
The International Services of Oamk certifies for a true copy only transcripts of records and degree certificates which they have copied themselves. Copies are given only of transcripts of records and degree certificates which are awarded and issued by Oamk.
Instructions for payments
Costs for copies of transcripts of records, degree certificates and potential handling and delivery fees are paid
- In advance as a bank transfer to the following bank account
Beneficiary's bank: Osuuspankki/OP Bank
IBAN: FI32 5741 4020 0600 54
Beneficiary: Oulun Ammattikorkeakoulu Oy (Oulu University of Applied Sciences Ltd)
It is obligatory to mention in the message field of the payment: Oamk 10208
- Cash on delivery
Cash on delivery can be used only for letters which are sent to Finnish addresses